FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to locate Clips' MXF media to transfer to another drive?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
How to locate Clips' MXF media to transfer to another drive?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:33:18 am

New to Avid. Working on a large project.

There are a couple hundred if not yet a thousand stills (some video) that are dispersed throughout a project. I have several "Stills" Bins nearing a thousand clips all together. Is there anyway to isolate the MXF files of these Imported clips (can't Reveal File to every one!) and then be able to copy those MXF files to a different hard drive? (I want editors to be able to share Bins on these clips, so can't just re-Import them to the other system because the Bins won't reconnect.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
Re: How to locate Clips' MXF media to transfer to another drive?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:41:14 am

Is there any copying media management tool I could use in which I put the bins of the media I want to transfer in a temp separate project then use this potential tool to copy or archive the media on another drive?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 8, 2013 at 9:27:25 am

Unfortunately the media tool in media Composer is very weak in terms of copying media, It's only useful for identifying media to create clips in bins or deleting media.
If your on a PC there is Avid_MDV that is more powerful but at the raw MXF level the most you can really see if what Project the media is associated with.

My advice would be to create a new project with a project name that's helpful (like Stillmedia) copy your bins into that project.
Consolidate those clips with no handles to new fresh drive (or use the MXF sub folder re-numbering trick.

Of the original media you should then (making sure you have a backup first) be able to select all the stills and delete the media (but leave the master clips) then copy the consolidated media back and the master clips should re-link to that media.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:38:37 pm

A long overdue feature is the ability to select one or more clips in the bin and via a right-click have the ability to move or copy media to a target drive in one step. Seeing as there is the ability to reveal file on a clip by clip basis, the foundation is there to do so on multiple clips as a single command.

But - you might be able to use the "send to" capabilities of the system if you are looking to move clips associated with a sequence. In the settings, there is an option to "copy media" and set a target drive/folder. For clips in the bin, you can quickly make a sequence from them and do the same.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:12:32 pm

So that would only move clips, not copy them?

I think in one of Kevein McAluiffe's tutorials he uses an external tool that allows projects to be copied, no? Is that not something to use?

Aren't there people that keep all there media for every single project in the one MXF folder without hidding any of the numbered folders? What do they do?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:27:34 pm

There are a number of great tools for maanaging projects and media look at Project Parking for one.
And i think that's why Avid has stuck with such weak internal media management.

You can work Avid never interfacing with the MXF folders if you live with the consolidate function and media tool to delete unwanted media (or by reverse selection keep wanted media)

But I don't know of anyone seriously doing post who isn't managing media at the folder level to really lever the flexibility that offers.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:25:01 pm

MediaCopy by Automatic Duck. It's free now:

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/mc/

You can use this to copy just specific bins from projects, or entire projects. It a great tool to have.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:03:33 pm

So it has the ability to (copy) the media - as in the (MXF) files associated with a Project/Bins ?!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:15:40 pm

Yep. Just drag the bins you want to copy into the Media Copy window, set where you want them copied to and hit Copy. It will copy all the .mxf media to that location . Great way to move media around or archive projects.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:18:30 pm

Thank heaven! I'll be testing this out today and hopefully everything will [copy]. Lol - Why didn't anyone suggest this in the first place instead of just saying how 'weak' the Media Tool is...? Anyhow - Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:20:38 pm

My excuse is, I only work on one feature film at a time, so management at the media level is very much simplified...

;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:26:47 pm

The issue with using 3rd party solution (especially ones no longer supported) is you can't be sure of the result and any issues generated won't be easy to get support for later.
So where possible I suggest solutions that use the tool itself if possible (hence my suggestion to use consolidate)

But yes there are many many ways to achieve it using external tools.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:00:16 pm

Ok, so I gave the Duck's Media Move a test.

The only thing I noticed was that if I updated the copied Bin, then brought that 'updated' Bin back into the original project, Avid got a bit confused.

This message came up when I tried to open the 'original' version of the Bin and the 'updated' version of the Bin: "Unable to open file '(original bin name here)'. Exception: A copy named "copied bin name here)" is already open."

But - is this something that general happens with copied and updated Bins that don't get 'replaced' with he exact same original Bin name in the projects folder?

(Consolidation method appends a .new to the clips thus, te media falls offline... not really sure how to work that method as people suggest..)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:24:08 pm

Yes...same as opening a bin from your attic...as far as avid is concerned its the same bin...and you can only open it once at a time. Once your updated bin is built...check it...if it all seems correct I would get rid of the original bin...everybody should be using the new one from now on.
Having two copies of the same bin will only confuse matters. If at some point you need to go back to the original, you should be able to get it from the attic.

If you are really worried, make a folder called 'original stills bin. Put your original bin in it and tuck it away somewhere with a text document explaining what you did and why you did it.

Second option is to make a new bin and move the contents from your original to it...and name it something obvious...personally I think this also leads to confusion eventually.

Nothing bugs me more than duplicate bins...that 6 months from now nobody knows why we built them in the first place.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:29:04 pm

I see. THank you for the explanation.

People have made me concerned about the 'third party apps.'

Can anyone direct me to a ste-by-step tutorial video or written out that will achieve what I need to do?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]