FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting HD seq. as small as possible

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gillian Ryan
Exporting HD seq. as small as possible
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:00:09 pm

Hello,

I am trying to export a sequence and I need it to be able to buffer quickly for others to watch. Every time I export it comes out as a huge file.... is there a way to decrease the size without compromising the quality? I will also use adobe encoder to squeeze it after exporting but, even then its too big for others to watch.

Please help:)

THanks!!

Gillian

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Exporting HD seq. as small as possible
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:09:05 pm

That's the very catch. HD is a lot of data. RAW it's around 7GB per second. So even with a lot of compression you are looking at around 1GB per minute. WHich is way too much for easy viewing files.
From then on you are looking at codecs like H264 which are a lot of effort to encode and a lot of effort to decode (so the client needs a reasonably powerful machine). That extra comtpression effort can make a smaller file look just as good. But even that is too big for you needs. So that factors that you can adjust are:

The software doing the encode (some do a much betetr job than others)
The image size and framerate (lowering down from 1920x1080 will reduce the file size for a given quality)
Trading quality against size.

At the end of the day the final element is the skill in the encode settings to choose based on the content and that's a skill it takes some time to develop.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Gillian Ryan
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:17:10 pm

So do you have any suggestions when exporting from AVID ? I have tried the h.264 and when I export as that, it comes out a shade lighter or does something strange to the coloring....

Return to posts index

Gillian Ryan
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:17:36 pm

Thanks for replying !

So do you have any suggestions when exporting from AVID ? I have tried the h.264 and when I export as that, it comes out a shade lighter or does something strange to the coloring....

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:52:52 pm

http://lfhd.net/2012/08/31/exporting-low-res-qt-from-avid-fast/

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Avid Artist Transport • Media Composer 6 • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 5, 2013 at 10:39:12 am

The h264 export from Avid uses the generic QT and that's not that quick or that adjustable so it makes medioca results at best.

The issue with the change in look is related to the factt at Avid works at TV video levels with black at value 16 and white at value 235 which is fine for display on devices that are setup for that like TV equipment is.
But convert that signal to a QT file that you play in QT player and you aren't compensating and will see the blacks look grey and the whites look low level.
To solve this export from Avid at RGB levels ideally same as source.
Then take this (large file) in to sorenson squeeze and use squeeze to make you H264 whoch gives you much more control and can run in the background while you go back to Avid to edit.
There are other encoding tools as well but squeeze isn't bad.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jan 7, 2013 at 7:52:02 am

Export QT Ref out of MC with RGB levels. Since you're using AME for encoding use the Vimeo 720p preset. More than just decent quality and file size is drastically reduced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]