FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding what goes on under the hood on import, render, and export in Avid MC.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Hays
Understanding what goes on under the hood on import, render, and export in Avid MC.
on Jan 4, 2013 at 1:25:06 am

I'm thinking about getting a new computer in the next year or two. Before I do though, I want to understand specifically what Avid uses Hardware -wise when the program is importing (transcoding) a file, Rendering a file, and exporting a file. What does the program use? Does it rely on huge amounts of RAM? Does it mainly rely on a lot of cores? Is the Graphics card the big thing? I mainly want to know what I need to invest in to import, render, transcode, and export media fast.

I'd like to not have to break the bank of course.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Understanding what goes on under the hood on import, render, and export in Avid MC.
on Jan 4, 2013 at 12:21:06 pm

More RAM helps but there was mention of 12GB being it's upper limit.
The graphics card can be used if it's found to be listed in Avids config file (and has the right driver installed) and that gives improved realtime playback and faster renders but there's little info on exactly what cards give what improvements.
Otehr than that it's currently core speeds that seem to be of more value than core counts.
Some functions benefit for more cores like Transcoding but I've not seen more than 8 cores gain much.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Andrew Hays
Re: Understanding what goes on under the hood on import, render, and export in Avid MC.
on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:11:45 pm

which version of the software are you using Mr. Horridge?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:01:45 pm

I'm running Symphony V5.5.3.6 (Nitris Classic) Symphony V6.0.3.2 & V6.5.2 (on a Resolve machien with BM I/O)
Media Composer V5.5.3.6 through to V6.5.2 on a mixture of Mac and PC systems.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Andrew Hays
on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:05:49 pm

Interesting. So you pretty much run the gamut of Avid products at your facility. Have any of them performed better than others? On a PC vs. Mac for example or if the newer version are buggier than the older ones?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:59:06 pm

I've always found the PC version of any version of MC to be more stable than than the Mac version since way way back.
And yes I'd say V4.05 was the best most stable version pre AMA
V5.5.3.6 is very very good and V6 followed by V6.5 still has a way to go to cathc up with that but the additional features, if you need them, are worth the pain sometimes.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]