FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way to Load mixed kinds of footage into Broadcast project ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Best Way to Load mixed kinds of footage into Broadcast project ?
on Jan 1, 2013 at 8:14:40 pm

I'm an AE new to Avid and wondering what is the best procedures for working on projects with mixed kinds of media on projects that will go to Broadcast.

Of course the project will be 1080i. I'm anticipating working with footage that is shot at 24 fps. I'm also anticipating working with archive, which can come in at SD 4:3 30i, HD at any frame rate, etc. What is the best procedure when Importing this material (not AMA) at high-res and perhaps lower-res'?

Perhaps create a new project for every kind of anticipated piece of footage - the project has the same tech specs as the source footage, Import the material, then Open Bin in the master project? I notice often that the Open Bin function places the Opened Bin in an Other Bins folder. Are there any issues with this process? Can I simply just delete the original Import projects when done for the day?

Always like to research and check out options. And eliminate the cause for issues down the line.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

JD Marlow
Re: Best Way to Load mixed kinds of footage into Broadcast project ?
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:47:16 pm

Rosie,

I don't think there is any one way to do it. Part of it depends on you figuring out what works best for the show -- and this will depend on how much of each source there is. For example, if 95% of the show is 23.98 material and you have some 30i archival I would suggest finish in 23.98, do your 30i to 23.98 conversions and then master to 23.98. Once the show is mastered, do one big cross-conversion to 1080i 59.94 (drop-frame, since it's broadcast). Then you have a master with clean 2:3 cadence (which could easiliy be restored to 23.98 if needed later). Of course the only trick here is timing the show breaks properly, which the AVID TC calculator can do very easily since you won't be working in drop frame.

Another option is to work 23.98, master 23.98 and then cross convert to 1080i 59.94 and cut in the archival at that native frame rate as a last step, so that it's not being converted back and forth.

Of course if it's the opposite, and only some of your stuff is 23.98 but you're working in a 1080i project, maybe it makes sense to just cut with that 23.98 material in the 59.94 project you've already created. The only thing I don't know, and maybe someone can help clarify this, is if you dump 23.98 footage on to a 59.94 timeline in AVID, will a proper 2:3 pulldown cadence be applied? Or will you just get weird motion blurring to achieve the conversion?

Hope this is helpful.

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:52:39 pm

This is exactly what I want to know:
"The only thing I don't know, and maybe someone can help clarify this, is if you dump 23.98 footage on to a 59.94 timeline in AVID, will a proper 2:3 pulldown cadence be applied?  Or will you just get weird motion blurring to achieve the conversion?"

And how is it best to literally bring in the material into Avid? Do I load in a project with the same specs then how should I get that material into the master project? Open Bin? Then what? Move Bin into master project folder and open the project?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 3, 2013 at 3:32:01 pm

And how is it best to literally bring in the material into Avid? Do I load in a project with the same specs then how should I get that material into the master project? Open Bin? Then what? Move Bin into master project folder and open the project?

I do it this way all the time. Create a temp project of the same specs, then move the bin into the master project.
Open Bin works fine too, but having the bin show up in "other bins" is not the best way to organize, You could also use "Open Bin", then drag the clip to a new bin you create inside the project. I have found Mix and Match in the timeline does a better job of conversion than doing the conversion on import directly into the master project.

The only downside to all this, is that the project affiliation in the Media Tool will be to the temp project and not the "master" project. You can, of course, select multiple projects to sort in the Media Tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]