FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need assistance getting Avid Media Composer 6.5 to recognize 1080i/24f MXF media files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Roman
I need assistance getting Avid Media Composer 6.5 to recognize 1080i/24f MXF media files
on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:26:22 pm

I own a Panasonic HVX200 and a FS-100 drive. I know it's a little old but i just got the firestore drive for Christmas. I'm having a difficult time getting my Avid Media Composer 6.5.0 to recognize the .mxf video files from the FS-100 drive.

1) I first plug the fs-100 into my MacPro using a firewire cable.
2) Then i get the FS-100 to connect to the MacPro.
3) I go into my Avid Media Files and create a MXF folder and the create three new files numbered 1, 2, and 3.
4) Next i take the files from my FS-100 and place them into the number 2 folder.
5) I then open up Avid Media Composer 6.5.0
6) I then go to tools
7) I select the hard drive where i placed the media files, which in my case is folder 2.
8) I select all projects, and check the two boxes below which are labeled Master Clips and Media Files.

At this point i think i'm doing well and that everything is going to work.

The next window pops up with all of my media files except for the media files that i put in the number 2 folder in the MXF folder i created under Avid Media Files.

I've spent a good 8 hours now trying to figure this out and figured its time to ask for help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like i've been banging my head against a wall for a while trying to get avid to read these clips.

A little more information: I have my HVX200's settings set to 1080i/24f and P2 is selected on the back of my camera. I do have a p2 card that is in the camera but it is full and i found that the fs-100 won't work/record unless a p2 card is in the camera. My Fs-100 is set to DVCPROHD REC/ P2/FA Tapeless.

Sincerely,

MR

Any links on how i can get this to work would be great. If anyone has come across this similar problem and wouldn't mind sharing your steps for success that would be awesome too! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: I need assistance getting Avid Media Composer 6.5 to recognize 1080i/24f MXF media files
on Dec 31, 2012 at 2:23:17 pm

I'm guessing, as I've never dealt with that cam. But not all MXF files are Avid compatible media files. So what I'd do is AMA-link to the MXF files, then transcode or consolidate them.

Also, if they are 1080i/24f, they are likely 23.976p-inside-1080i59.94. If so, I'd AMA them into a 1080i59.94 project, change the Field Motion to 2:3 Film, then use them in a 23.976p project.

Return to posts index

Matthew Roman
Re: I need assistance getting Avid Media Composer 6.5 to recognize 1080i/24f MXF media files
on Jan 4, 2013 at 2:56:56 am

Ill see if i can do that. It sounds like a lot as i read it. Saturday i'll be sitting down and trying to finish troubleshooting. I was able to use the Media Tool to read my FS-100 and that allowed me to play my clip in Avid but once the hard drive was turned off the media went offline. That was expected because it was reading the mxf file directly from the drive. I've tried copying the entire folder from the FS-100 and put it in my AvidMedia folder under a new MXF folder but the Media Tool never recognized it for some reason.

To verify, i was shooting in 1080i/24f.
So my goals Saturday are:
1) AMA my clip into a 1080i59.94 project
2) change the Field Motion to 2:3 Film
3) then use them in a 23.976p project.

And How do i use AMA to turn my clip into a 1080i59.94 project?
How exactly do i change the Field Motion to a 2:3 film?

Sorry for asking such elementary questions. I went from Avidxpress to Avid Media Composer 6.5 and throwing in the HD is making this more difficult for me. So many little things to learn.

Thank you,

MR

Return to posts index

Marianna Montague
on Jan 7, 2013 at 6:25:23 pm

Matt
Good idea to download the guide for the workflow you are using. Go to http://www.avid.com/ama where the workflow guides are listed and do tell you what you need to do.
Another option is to go over to the Get Started Fast forum as a lot of these types of ?'s are asked by those who have moved from older systems to 6.5.
How did your efforts work out Saturday? Did you get it working?
Marianna

Return to posts index

Matthew Roman
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:25:11 am

Thank you for the workflow link. I'm still having some troubles with it though. I'll have more time tomorrow evening to hopefully work it out. I'll let you know how it goes and what is hanging me up. Thank you so very much for your help. I'm a film student getting my feet wet and trying to get all of my equipment working together.

Thank you,

MR

Return to posts index

Marianna Montague
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:25:31 pm

Matt
If you get stuck just email me at my avid.com address. If I cant help I can find someone who can.
marianna
marianna.montague@avid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]