FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to Match Pixel Aspect ratio on Import

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Trying to Match Pixel Aspect ratio on Import
on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:23:27 pm

New to Avid.

I'm trying to Import some HD clips into an 4:3 SD project with letterboxing. I notice when I import the HD clips, I can't seem to get the Pixel Aspect Ratio or the Image Aspect Ratio to match the project. The project currently shows "unknown" under Pixel Aspect Ratio and Image Aspect Ratio for all of the SD (and HD) clips in it, I suspect it's supposed to be this way. But upon my Import of new/additional HD clips, it says the Pixel Aspect Ratio is 1.841 and the Image Aspect Ratio is 4:3 (because it's now letterboxed into the 4:3 frame).

Is the Pixel Aspect Ratio supposed to be this way? What am I doing wrong, if this is not right?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Trying to Match Pixel Aspect ratio on Import
on Dec 29, 2012 at 10:32:56 am

Avid does not really care about aspect ratio. It only renders titles / certain wipes in the correct aspect ratio if you set it.
So, you're bringing in your stuff at original pixel size, and you need to set the correct scaling / cropping / aspect ration yourself.
There are presets in the effect palette to do so, so no worries there.
(but since it's HD, you might want to customize the downscaling / letterboxing a bit by reframing.)

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
Re: Trying to Match Pixel Aspect ratio on Import
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:55:34 pm

Ok - I just didn't know if this mattered down the line for reimporting the media or the online when a colorist is working with the footage.

Is it "better" to resize using an Effect or a resize option in the Reformat column?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]