FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 6.5 + Sony Content Browser (XDCAM HD) - AMA and finishing workflow on a Mac, re-wrap to Quicktime first, or not? Advice needed on workflow benefits

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kim
Avid MC 6.5 + Sony Content Browser (XDCAM HD) - AMA and finishing workflow on a Mac, re-wrap to Quicktime first, or not? Advice needed on workflow benefits
on Dec 27, 2012 at 2:14:03 pm

I'm somewhat new to XDCAM HD and could use some help.

I'm editing footage that originated on a PMW-200. This is XDCAM HD source material that will be edited on a Mac Avid MC v6.5 to start.

I understand that benefits of archiving the entire card structure from a day's shoot. Of course that will be done.

However, I'm wondering about the best workflow for working with the footage "post-card archive" from the following perspectives:

1) DESKTOP perspective: i.e. being able to view dailies easily, archive them, and use programs such as Disk Catalog Maker, Filemaker Pro, etc to annotate or archive them outside of the editing program

2) EDITING perspective: getting the material into Avid and editing it

3) FINISHING perspective: laying off the edit eventually to a colorist

I could use some advice on the best workflow considering the above.

It seems to me that the best workflow is to use Sony's Content Browser to load in a card's footage, and then transfer that footage as Quicktime MP4s into a separate folder, say called "Dailies," organized by date or shoot location. And then AMA that footage into Avid, consolidating or transcoding as necessary according to individual needs.

Once the edit is done, I could relink back to those Quicktimes to send off to Resolve, etc, for the online.

The benefit of the above is that I can use Mac OS's Quick Look and Spotlight to quickly view the dailies, use Compressor to quickly create low-resolution versions to send off to the transcription house, use as placeholder media in After Effects to create titles, and so on. The SxS card archive -- while fine for cold storage purposes -- does not offer me anything in terms of workflow benefits, it appears.

The question is -- am I losing anything by not AMA'ing the footage into Avid from the card itself? In other words, the XDCAM HD workflow I've often seen used in tutorials it to bring in the card media itself directly into Avid. That works fine, but then I'm stuck with using Avid as a conduit for everything, including trafficking all the footage. Quicktime, as long in the tooth as it might be, integrates with the desktop nicely and plays well enough with other applications.

Thoughts on the above? Am I going to run into a major problem of any sort down the road with my Quicktime-based workflow?

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Steve Blais
Re: Avid MC 6.5 + Sony Content Browser (XDCAM HD) - AMA and finishing workflow on a Mac, re-wrap to Quicktime first, or not? Advice needed on workflow benefits
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:54:39 pm

Have you found any answers to this question? We're getting the PMW200 but to save cash, we're getting the SD cards and adapter instead of the SxS cards. Can you AMA link directly to the cards files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]