FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 6.5 keep getting errors when transcoding

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
MC 6.5 keep getting errors when transcoding
on Dec 26, 2012 at 11:46:30 pm

I'm trying to transcode h.264 to dnx and I keep getting an error after 5 or so clips are transcoded though it always ends up out of order so clips 1,4 6,7 will be transcoded rather than 1,2,3,4.

Is there an offline online workflow using mpeg streamclip? I did a lot of searching and can't figure out how it works. I'd like to transcode and leave for a few hours but MC wont do it. I know mpeg streamclip will but I only know the AMA offline online workflow.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: MC 6.5 keep getting errors when transcoding
on Dec 27, 2012 at 10:21:25 am

I've seen a number of Mac users having transcoding issues on the Mac side (in fact generally there still seem to be more errors on the Mac side)
Yes the transcoding order is a real headache and one we hope Avid address (I suspect Avid handles the queue in order they exist on the disc or something like that)

One day we hope to have background Transcoding but currently that doesn't seem to be a priority which is a shame.

In theory you could use MPEG stream clip to produce low res versions of the media and then AMA to them (and then consolidate rather than transcode) and then have MPEG stream clip make finishing quality version of the final needed files and then AMA mount those and re-link.
But it's a clunky workflow and prone to errors so you'd need to test it fully.

The easiest route is to find a PC MC and use that to do the Transcode...

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:33:11 pm

Wow you gotta be kidding me! My MC is completely unuseable for cutting all non-native material then? How does any mac user put up with this? Funny thing is, the kind of work I'm doing right now was really more suited for fcpx, multi-cam dlsr events with no tc or clap sync. But FCP was corrupting so many files, I decided it wasn't worth the timesaving I got from the bg encoding. So X was useless for exporting and MC is useless for importing. And my only option is getting a PC computer at this point?

Looks like its time to download the premiere trial. This is beyond dissapointing. Now what about if I used the import instead of AMA-transcode? If I import at dnx 45 how would I upres back to dnx 220? Is that not the way it used to work? I didn't start cutting on Avid until version 5 which I never encountered this problem with.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:49:00 pm

To be afir to Avid it's not all Mac users (in fact with the big move over of FCP users on Macs the level of issues isn't as high as I expected)
Many Mac users and system configurations are working fine. But the Mac OS goal posts have been moving very fast and I suspect that's complicating things. But who knows.
If you import then you can't upres (well you can but you are limited to the original DNX45 quality so that's pointless)
You'd have 2 routes:
Import at DNX220 (after making sure your Avid MXF 1 folder is empty)
When all imported rename that 1 folder 220
Then transcode all those DNX220 clips to DNX45.
Then you can move the DNX220 media (in the 220) folder off the system till the online.
Whent he offline cut of the DNX45 media is done you delete (or hide) the DNX45 media. Bring the DNX220 media back and the sequence shoudl just link to it.

Option 2 is to import at DNX45 then when the sequence is done re-batch import at DNX220. The problem with the import method is that the whole source file has to be imported for the offlien then again for the online and the import process is much slower than the Transcode process.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:45:21 pm

Pat I mentioned this in another post, but what do you think of installing MC on a Mac with Windows 7 via parallel for transcoding purposes?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:56:47 pm

Why not run the Mac version of MC? why jump through those hoops?
unsupported and you may have issues with graphics etc.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:06:26 pm

A it stands, I cannot use AMA transcode function with dslr clips. MC will only allow 1-5 clips to transcode at a time without an error. So I have no offline online capabilities. I can only go through mpeg streamclip which adds more time and complication. I mentioned parallel for transcoding since you suggested this being a Mac OS problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled media composer with no luck. I've switched to cutting all my projects outside of media composer but want to figure a way to use it again.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:12:31 pm

Well I guess you could try. Nothing lost.
You are on 6.5.2 aren't. you?

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18:47 pm

Yes. I am on 6.5.2

I found this thread on online http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/message/106947

And it turns out the same thing is happening on Windows 7 with AVCHD footage which I often use.

So far the only solution was to stay up all night, wait for the errors and select another 5 clips to transcode. Very discouraging and not an option for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]