FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem in Importing Avid EDL in FCP!!!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Moses Ross
Problem in Importing Avid EDL in FCP!!!
on Dec 21, 2012 at 8:43:11 am

Is it Possible to import an Avid Media Composer 6(Windows 7)EDL in to FCP. I tried a lot of options in Exporting EDl such as CMX3600,CMX3400,File16,etc..., but CMX3600 seems to work in Importing in FCP. But when I reconect it with the source and render, the clip plays from the point where I does not select (From In point to Out point). In simple words it plays before the In point and Out point. What would be the cause for this problem?.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Problem in Importing Avid EDL in FCP!!!
on Dec 21, 2012 at 2:04:31 pm

A CMX 3400 or 3600 would be the one to use as FCP does not deal with sources more than 8 characters via EDL. Are the source names longer than 8 characters? If so, you may have to use source file in the comments and see if that works, and connect.

Ad far as not playing the media, I can't help. Sorry. Not a FCP user.

Michael

Return to posts index

Moses Ross
on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:06:22 pm

The Source names are not bigger than 8 characters as the videos are made in canon 5d Mark2 camera . The file names will be like MVI_1944(Exactly 8 characters). We edited in Avid 6 in windows 7 and tried to open it in FCP7. CMX 3600 & 3400 works fine but the edited clipd are miss matched from the In and Out of the edited clip.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:42:30 pm

Are Media Composer and FCP interpreting the timecode differently? And I use the word timecode loosely when it comes to the 5D depending on workflow. Did you insert timecode permanently into the file with an app like QTChange? Or is everything assumed to have 00:00:00:00 as start of clip? I will also assume that both apps are working at the same frame rate as source clips were shot.

Michael

Return to posts index

Moses Ross
on Dec 22, 2012 at 2:43:09 am

No I didnt insert a timecode in the file.
Every clip has the perfect time beginning of the one I decided, no change in it.
Suddenly I have this thing in my mind that the Media composer 6 was released in 2011 and FCP 7 was released in 2009. So there is a thing that when we Import an exported thing from a higher version of software to a lower version software, there will be problems.I think this causes the problem because I tried EDL and AAF through BORIS TRANSFER and AUTOMATIC DUCK PRO..... Nothing worked.. It just opens the file but says the the source are missing but when I check the source ,the source are fine.....

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 22, 2012 at 3:19:04 am

Well an basic EDL is the great equalizer as it doesn't know nor carry NLE version with it - it may be that FCP from 2009 has some limitations with files that have no timecode? Just guessing. But if you park on the same frame in MC and FPC they have the same timecode displayed?

Michael

Return to posts index

Moses Ross
on Dec 22, 2012 at 8:08:28 am

Yes same time codes are displayed.
Even TIFF files of the exported footage does not support in FCP.
And One of my friend asked me whether the footage are imported in MC6 through AME settings. It seems digitally made videos are supposed to be imported by AME setting in MC.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 22, 2012 at 2:50:15 pm

I think you mean AMA and not AME (AME is Avid Media Engine) whereas AMA is Avid Media Access which lets you directly link to external file formats playback and editing.

Again, the EDL doesn't know squat from import, AMA, whatever, it just lists the REEL from either TAPE or SOURCE FILE and the START timecode position of the edit and where it falls in time (record side sequence timecode). If you step through your EDL events and look at source/record timecodes as you step through your sequence events, they should be the same, if they are, then it now appears to be an FCP problem and I am wondering if you wouldn't be better served with this issue on an FCP forum? Perhaps someone there has run into this more often.

Michael

Return to posts index

Moses Ross
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:38:46 pm

Okay, I try to find a solution in an FCP forum. Thank you for the solution.Its really helpful .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]