FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple and Efficient AVID MC Workflow for DSLR and other Formats/Footages (PC & MAC)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Swaroop Reghu
Simple and Efficient AVID MC Workflow for DSLR and other Formats/Footages (PC & MAC)
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:18:20 am

Hi All,

Below mentioned workflow has been the best method that i have used so far...[Without any Generation Loss]

1.) Use Mpeg StreamClip/Quicktime pro to convert MOVs/Footage to
DNXHD36 8-Bit MOVs. (For less storage)
OR
DNXHD185 8-Bit (If you are keen on grading the footage later)

[This is very easy and less time consuming method as AVID is very RAM hungry and takes a lot of time when it comes to Transcoding the footage.]

2.) Import Footage into Avid Bin using "Link to AMA files"
(For an average 100 clips it will take a minute or two)
-------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO USE MPEG STREAMCLIP FOR CONVERSION:-

Install Avid Codecs LE first
Then Mpeg Stream Clip (Restart if needed)
[Mpeg Stream Clip is available for PC also]

To export one single file
Open Mpeg Stream clip
Go to file.. open files...(The file gets opened in Streamclip)
Go to file..Export to quicktime
Choose AVID DNXHD codec under compression
Keep the quality full
Go to options...
Choose 1080p/25 DNXHD 36 8 -bit..
Press OK
Enter frame rate 25
Select De-interlace video
Check the resolution is 1920x1080(unscaled)
Choose Make Movie

To batch export
Open Mpeg Stream clip
Go to list.. Batch List...
Select Add Files...
Choose All MOV Clips
Select Export to quicktime
Select OK
Select Destination
Follow the same specifications when asked for!!!

CHEERS!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Simple and Efficient AVID MC Workflow for DSLR and other Formats/Footages (PC & MAC)
on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:19:10 pm

I love MPEG Streamclip for a lot of things, but for Avid media, I prefer avoiding going with yet another QuickTime wrapper altogether and use DaVinci Resolve to create native MXF wrapped DNxHD directly.

In many cases, AMA link to clips directly and a transcode will yield roughly 2x faster than real time and again, direct to MXF DNxHD. The choice between the two depends on whether the system has an MC on it, or if a LOG type recording was done on the sources.

Michael

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Simple and Efficient AVID MC Workflow for DSLR and other Formats/Footages (PC & MAC)
on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38:45 pm

ill second that. Use Avid’s link to AMA and transcode. Its pretty fast if not faster than mpeg as it will use more ofyour cores and whanot to process (avid 6 and up)

Also davinci is a great way to make the mxf’s as well, especially if the footage was recorded with a LUT

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Matthew Waysdorf
on Dec 21, 2012 at 8:42:22 pm

Here is my uber-rock-solid online to offline and back workflow that works for any file-based format. It can take much longer on the front end than a lot of people like, but the uprez takes about 10 seconds and is almost idiot proof.

1. Import or AMA-link your files at the codec you intend to hi-Rez in (dnxhd, etc).
2. Transcode those clips to SD (2:1, 15:1, etc). We have separate workspaces for online and offline media, but it's not 100% necessary.
3. Trash the .new clips. Relink your original hd master clips to the SD media.
4. Edit to your heart's content.
5. When it's ready to uprez, simply relink your footage to HD format, and you're done.

No need to transcode using a third party platform, and everything you need to uprez has been brought in to avid already. We work under much tighter deadlines for delivery than for ingest, so this works great. I avoid using streamclip on my master media (still use it for exports) because streamclip has no way of dealing with metadata. All of your TC and clip info will be stripped. Apple Compressor is the best bet IMO for conversions like this and can handle avid codecs in custom settings. But best to just let media composer do all the work for you. Best of luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]