FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL for Archive in Avid ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
EDL for Archive in Avid ?
on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:02:15 am

Working an FCP gig now. 

All archive is named with an inhouse code. This code corespondent with a spread sheet where the archive vendor codes are listed. The editor says this is inefficient and if it were an Avid job the assistant would be going through the timeline getting the vendor codes and time code of the archive.

This sounds a bit off to me or I'm not understanding something.

How would this be done in Avid - getting the archive elements list and time codes as well as the vendor codes?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: EDL for Archive in Avid ?
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:37:43 am

Not quite following the whole flow - but it seems that vendor codes could be tracked in any custom column, and there are 5 extra timecode columns to track alternate/in-house codes. Depending on how this is tracked in spreadsheet/database, the TAB file can be converted to ALE and merged into existing clips.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:46:36 am

This is helpful.

Yeah, I was thinking, use a column to copy the original vendor codes to. But I assume this will not be exported in the EDL? Does the EDL just out put the clip names that the clips get called in the Name column? Or what?

How can these be used? "5 extra timecode columns to track alternate/in-house codes." For example, the source TC of the clip probably starts at zero. But there's probably a BITC in the clip that starts at 13hours or something. Is the source TC typically changed to match the BITC?

Not too sure, or knowledgeable about what this means: "TAB file can be converted to ALE and merged into existing clip."

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:31:13 am

Does it need to be an actual EDL, or can it be some other file export that will list vendors codes and such?

I would need more detail, but as you say, the clip timecode is showing 00:00:00:00 but the BITC may be 13:00:00:00. This value can be entered in the AucTC1 column and tracked in lists be it EDL or other.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:53:33 pm

Well I guess it doesn't have to be a literal EDL for instance but a list of the archive and vendors and TC to order. Since I'm a new Avid AE I'm wondering how that list should be be comprised as far as accuracy and efficiency. Examples of experiences are always helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:28:09 pm

As far as timecode goes, you need both source and record side timecode?

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:31:04 pm

I', just assuming I would for future ref. A lot of these places are mom and pop style vendors so having both can be really helpful.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:19:48 pm

If it's just a list of archive (stock footage) type report. Adding the vendor code to a column in the bin as well as any other metadata tracking you want to do is probably the easiest way to start the tracking. For just a list of clips with source timecode and vendor information, save a bin view with all pertinent columns, then take your sequence and decompose or use "set bin display" to show hidden clips. Sort by any of those column heading, select only clips that have vendor ID's then export as a TAB delimited file. This can be imported into Excel, FileMaker Pro, etc, as needed for your reporting.

MC 6 or later does have stock footage reports as part of the feature set, but it does not allow you to enter metadata into it to represent your own in-house archive which is too bad, as it can create the stock footage report directly from the timeline.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:50:31 pm

I see. This is very interesting. Thank you for this feedback.

What about assigning "Tape" names for archive IDs? The "Tape" label cannot be edited once it's created - kind of like an actual tape. Could there be problems with this?

Or, might it be better to have a sort of vendor name column, and then duplicate that column information in a sort of back up column so that in case the vendor ID gets changed, there's a 'back up.' Though, I'm sure an archive person would also have a spread sheet with the info, theoretically.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:13:48 am

Hi again. So I've gotten more into things with Avid and the project I'm working on.

You write, "For just a list of clips with source timecode and vendor information, save a bin view with all pertinent columns, then take your sequence and decompose or use "set bin display" to show hidden clips. Sort by any of those column heading, select only clips that have vendor ID's then export as a TAB delimited file. This can be imported into Excel, FileMaker Pro, etc, as needed for your reporting."

This all makes sense to me now, but as for executing it, could you point me in the direction of how to do this, or tutorial?

I'm under the impression that decomposing a sequence can be deconstructive.

What I'm interested to get right now is an ALE or EDL or both that will list out the specific "archive clips," stills, music, etc. with time codes and durations so a budget can be worked up and the can be purchased.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]