FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA and Edit list, does it work?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joly Memory
AMA and Edit list, does it work?
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:59:02 am

Hello, I'm about to start a HD project on MC6 with different sources: Canon 5d, Sony EXF3 and XDCAM HD 1080/25p.
I will work with AMA, and probably transcode the final edit. The thing is that the colour grading (sorry I speak french so not sure I'm using the right term) will be made by someone else on another system that I don't know yet...
So I first thought about giving the "colour grading guy" an edit list, but when I tried to make one either with a "AMA" sequence test or a"transcoded" sequence test, and re-import it to avid, it didn't work.
So does anyone know if there is a way of using the edit list with the AMA process or is there another way to transfert my final sequence, transcoded or not, to the guy? like using an AAF export or something like that? The idea would be that the guy could work on the original clips and not on trancoded clips, even if the transcode will be in DNxHD 185 wich is very good quality.
Any idea?
Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: AMA and Edit list, does it work?
on Dec 14, 2012 at 1:36:17 pm

It's not useful to test your output by bring it back into Medi Composer. If that output is what the grading system uses then the only valid test is to import it into there.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 15, 2012 at 4:32:44 pm

pat is correct as Media Composer manages the sources differently than what a DI or other third party system might use depending on source file, and REEL name preferences, etc.

When using AMA or importing, all filenames are tracked in the "Source File" column. If captured via Tape, or via an ALE import first with Tape, or made in a third party system such as Resolve or Redcine X Pro, then the filename will be in the TAPE column.

It is possible for a project to be tracking sources in both TAPE and SOURCE FILE.

When generating an EDL, the process is:

1. Use value in TAPE. If none found then:
2. Use value in SOURCE FILE

So there should always be a value in either of those columns to track source via EDL. EDL Manager also allows the user to insert values found in Labroll, Camroll, and Soundroll should the source file allow for different naming as with ProRes from an ARRI Alexa; full filename or REEL from QT Header).

If using AAF, then the AAF contains all the metadata and it is up to the receiving application to parse the proper fields. That is why you want to test it with that application. Also note, that if using AMA and the sources are still linked (live), then you cannot generate an AAF without first checking the "use edit protocol".

Michael

Return to posts index

Joly Memory
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:14:53 am

Thank you, I tried other ways to make an EDL and I found that using EDL "file 16" gave me the entire source name, which I didn't have even with choosing the "source-tape..." setting. My problem was my lack of knowlegde about EDL Manager...
But you're right I still need to wait and see which grading system will be used.
Thank you for your answers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]