FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime reference does not work in Sorenson Squeeze

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugo van Meijeren
Quicktime reference does not work in Sorenson Squeeze
on Dec 12, 2012 at 8:30:51 pm

Hi,

I have the following problem, I've just finished editing a multicam project in Avid Mediacomposer 6. I exported from Avid to a Quicktime Reference file (just the regular way).

When I try playing the file in Quicktime it plays fine. Both audio and video are OK.

However, I need to encode the file with Sorenson Squeeze, when I import the quicktime reference I see a white screen inside the Sorenson player, when trying to play the picture remains white, audio consists of some horribly distorted 'bleeps'.
When scrubbing trough the file in Sorenson, I see parts of the actual video image, but when I hold the scrubber still, the picture turns white again.

I tried playing the quicktime reference in VLC, I get the same distorted bleeps and no picture. (I've checked the .wav audiofile, there's nothing wrong with it).

I suspect there's a codec problem, however, all regular Avid (and other common) codecs are installed. And the video does play fine in Quicktime. I don't know where to search for the problem and I hope someone here is able to help me with this.

Thanks!

Hugo

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Quicktime reference does not work in Sorenson Squeeze
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:11:49 pm

I've had this problem with certain codecs within Avid, like DVCProHD - never had an issue with DNxHD media - it seems while codecs are on computer and work within Avid and QT that Sorenson still does not recognize them. I ran into a confusing issue with Sorenson, something to do with ffshow or something like that - sorry I don't have a clearer understanding as I ran out of time to troubleshoot and decided to make everything DNxHD related to avoid the issue all together.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Hugo van Meijeren
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:43:34 pm

Hmm, I see.
My footage is a combination of XDCAM EX and DNxHD 185. I could try to see if a qt reference file with only the DNxHD footage will load in Sorenson...
(Then I could do a mixdown to DNxHD 185 first, but it will be consuming a lot of time and resources (disk space)).

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:01:10 pm

Absolutely that WILL work - we have freelance editors and I cannot always control the codecs - thanks for jarring my memory. Do a DNxHD mixdown and a QT ref from that will defintely work unless you have a more serious problem with Sorenson.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Hugo van Meijeren
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:20:08 pm

Just did a quick test, 10 seconds of DNxHD 185 footage, export as quicktime reference. Loads perfectly in Sorenson (as I'm used to) and encodes into any format.

So probably the combination of the DNxHD and XDCAM EX material in one project doesn't work for Sorenson.

A mixdown to DNxHD it is.

Thanks for your help!
Hugo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]