FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Version of clips to edit with when AMA linking?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 8:07:59 pm

New Avid AE - no editor to work with at this point.

Have some file based media I need to bring into a tape project.

I'm planning on Linking to AMA, logging footage, transcoding to a low res. Some people say rename and edit the .new files and some people say don't - that I should Consolidate and edit witht he .old files. That doesn't sound right. Why shouldn't I edit with the .new files renamed? I will assuming this will allow for a re-link and re-transcode to higher res for the online - no?

OR

Is it entirely better to bring in all the clips transcoded in their entirety - then make subclips in Avid? Space would be less of an issue since they would be transcoded at a lower res.

A bit new to this and no editor to reference details with.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Which Version of clips to edit with when AMA linking?
on Dec 12, 2012 at 8:30:38 pm

AMA link to volume and/or all clips. Select all and transcode. When transcode is complete, the "linked" files should still all be highlighted AND have the "link" icon (which is different from the transcoded files that have ".new" extention on the name) - simply hit the delete key, dialogue with only one option comes up which asks if you want to delete "Master Clips" select this and say yes - you will only be deleting the "AMA Link" to those files and will not be deleting the files themselves, neither will you be deleting the "new" clips nor their Avid Media Files.

The transcode option when you select transcode will give you options as to the resolution at that time. You should edit and subclip from the transcoded files (although you can work with AMA linked files first but you must then, at a later date after transcoding, relink the edits or subclips to the transcoded media).

Ricky

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 8:55:39 pm

So it is okay to rename and edit with the .new with the workflow being that the clips will be felonies later and transcoded.

And you say that it is better to bring in entire clips and subclip. Delinking and transcoding won't be a problem?

Please confirm as in want to be carton I'm understanding this properly.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:22:45 pm

You shouldn't rename the files .new - Avid does that automatically when it transcodes.

When AMA Linking - you must link to an entire file, you cannot link to part of a file - suppose you have a 10 minute file but only want 5 minutes from the middle .... link to the entire file, make a 5 minute subclip and transcode only the subclip for editing. (You must realize that Avid does not really edit well, if at all, from AMA linked video).

When I link to a file and then transcode, I have 2 clips in the bin - the AMA link to the file and a new clip that has been transcoded to Avid Media, thus it is no longer necessary to keep the "AMA Linked" clip because you cannot edit with it anyway with flawless playback.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:31:27 pm

I don't understand!

How am I supposed to label the clips like the team did to all the tapes in the cut it I can't rename the .new clips?

What work flow will allow me to transcode low res, label and log my clips, then relink?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:41:49 pm

Maybe someone else can weigh in - I may have confused the matter.

If you are just logging clips and making subclips, an editor should be able to handle the other stuff such as transcoding and relinking or whatever works for them.

I would simply link to the files you have, make subclips (naming them whatever makes sense to you) logging notes about what you want where - that simple to get your work done. IF you must be the one to transcode, then when you have created all your subclips and they are the only footage you want to use, then select all of the subclips you make and transcode them to low res. - that easy.

If you don't do this then I suspect you have a big learning curve to go through first before you get any work done.

I really hope this helps you. Good Luck!!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:48:05 pm

There is no editor for me to work with now.

What I need to do as far as I can tell is get the footage Into the system so it can be edited.

If I transcode the clips, why can't I just rename the .new clips and make subclips from that? Will I not be able to relink the media and transcode to a higher res later?

Am I supposed to leave the master clip named .new? Or are only the sub clips supposed to be renamed?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:51:24 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "If I transcode the clips, why can't I just rename the .new clips and make subclips from that?"

You can. I prefer to make another column for comments or description and put custom naming there so the transcoded clip name stays the same (with .new on the end). That way, if I need to go back to the AMA clip, it's easy to find to AMA clip. It has the same name as the transcoded clip, but without .new.

[Rosie Walunas] "Will I not be able to relink the media and transcode to a higher res later?"

You should be able to. As I said before, though, I put custom clip names in the description column. That way I get the best of both worlds - original clip name, and name that makes more sense for editorial.

[Rosie Walunas] "Am I supposed to leave the master clip named .new? Or are only the sub clips supposed to be renamed?"

You can rename either.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:01:12 pm

So if the clip's original transcode name is XYZ.new I can rename that and rename its subclips, and then when I need to transcode at a higher res I will be whale to link back?

Regarding the original name I was going to copy that name for all the clips into a new column using that Command+d function. And do the same for the hard drive the originals stored on.

Does this make sense and will it be okay for the online?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:52:02 pm

Oh - you can transcode and you can name the clips and/or subclips anything you want - that is great!

I have not done a low-res transcode of a linked file then tried to hi-res later. Seems there was a discussion about that but I am not knowledgeable in that workflow. Fortunately we have plenty of space to hi-res the first time.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:32:23 pm

[Ricky Barrow] "Oh - you can transcode and you can name the clips and/or subclips anything you want - that is great!"

Yep. If you want to test it, AMA a clip into your system. Transcode it. Rename the transcoded file "trancoded_full_clip". Now load it into your source monitor and subclip part of it. Name the subclip "trancoded_subclip". So your AMA file, the transcode, and the subclip all have different names.

Cut the subclip into your sequence and match frame it - it will load the subclip into your source monitor. Immediately hit Match Frame again and it will load the transcoded clip. Select your sequence and the AMA clip in your bin and choose to relink to selected files. It should relink the sequence to the AMA clip. If all of this works, you'll know you can rename anything you want.

As a matter of fact, I might just test all of this out tonight to see that it works exactly as I'm telling you. What version of software are you on?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:40:42 pm

Ok. Thank for being clear - this is what I had in mind. I think the system is 5.5.

The project is DV25 and the clips are HD do I have to deal with that but I think I can just move the bins from the initial HD project into the Sd project.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:06:48 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "The project is DV25 and the clips are HD do I have to deal with that but I think I can just move the bins from the initial HD project into the Sd project."

Go to the Format Tab of your project window and change the project from HD to SD. No need to make a new project and copy bins.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:09:33 pm

Oh. And then just. Change it back to SD?

Ithe SD is actually 4:3 with an in camera letterbox, so hat HD footage should fit in the frame.

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]