FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving a project and materials

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Christoforu
Saving a project and materials
on Dec 9, 2012 at 6:11:25 am

Hi, after a 10 year brake editing on MC I've decided to go back to MC and leave FCP7 to rest in peace.
What I would like to ask is can I create a folder with my project settings, save all renders there, footage and audio etc and bypass the media tool?

Kind regards
John

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Saving a project and materials
on Dec 9, 2012 at 2:47:47 pm

Pretty sure the Avid MediaFiles folder, where all your footage and pre computes are stored needs to be at the root level of a volume. so the best you can do is to keep your project on the same volume. If you don't want the footage mixed with other projects in the same MediaFiles folder, When you start a new project, you can increment the number of your footage folder up to a higher number(Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1) and MC will start a new one at number 1. This will keep everything separate. You have to be real careful with this, if you bounce between projects, but it can work.

The question is why do you want to bypass the Media Tool..which is designed to deal with all this and is better suited to deal with the way Avid manages files. It's a bit like wanting to repair your car and refusing to use a screwdriver.

Avid is not FCP7. The reason media management is more solid in Avid than other NLEs, is its database and file system. It's rigid, but its very reliable. If you try to go your own way, you are asking for chaos.

(This applies to "traditional" Avid managed media. AMA media can be managed more like FCP, but not surprisingly, it's more temperamental. I avoid editing with AMA...just use it for selects, then transcode to Avid media)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]