FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Upgrade caused project files to be deleted

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Hennessey
Avid Upgrade caused project files to be deleted
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:29:54 pm

Our system was upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5 recently, and in the process all of our project files were cleared out!! The directory /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer was completely empty. So all of our projects were deleted.

The install was done by IT so I'm not sure if he clicked an option like "refresh Avid project database" or something like that. The machine's HDs are currently being recovered in attempt to find the old version of the "AvidMediaComposer" folder. But in the meantime, has anyone experienced this? Could the folder have possibly been moved to an "Admin" user or something, since the IT guy was signed in as an Admin at the time, or possibly elsewhere on the machine?

Unfortunately I won't be able to check the machine against your suggestions since it's drives are shipped out, but I'm basically asking: Is there any hope?

http://vimeo.com/nickhennessey

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Avid Upgrade caused project files to be deleted
on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:07:50 pm

I have never had that happen. I have never seen a checkbox asking me to delete project files. I have always backed up my projects before upgrading, but have never ever needed to put them back, as the installers always left them where they were. Seems to me like your IT guy did this manually.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:09:37 pm

Also, do a search. If you had your projects in the 'Private' section, or in the 'External' section, they may reside some other place than Users/Shared but rather in your active user's Documents folder, for instance.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:38:39 pm

Are you sure Avid is not looking in the 6.5 projects folder, instead of the 6.0 projects folder?

the uninstall of Avid won't delete the project folders, or any contents in it. Also, it won't move them from
one folder to another. Your new installation of Avid is going to default to a shared folder based on media composer 6.5. There is probably still a 6.0 folder nearby

Glenn

Return to posts index

Nick Hennessey
on Dec 19, 2012 at 9:02:09 pm

Thanks for your responses. The project files were always contained on the Shared user in AvidMediaComposer so that rules out Job's suggestion about External and Private. And the install of 6.5 didn't create a new "6.5" folder within the AvidMediaComposer folder, so that rules out Glenn's suggestion.

I think this is going to be one of those mystery occurrences for us where we never really find out what happened, since Avid Support wasn't able to suggest anything.

http://vimeo.com/nickhennessey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]