FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes fast import TC errors

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
ProRes fast import TC errors
on Dec 5, 2012 at 10:21:39 pm

I imported 151 ProRes422 .mov files with NDTC into a 1080i project. The result was the first 71 files all came in with 1:00:00:00 TC while the rest came in with TC matching the original .mov files. I was able to duplicate the issue on other batches of files. Seems the first half are all 1hr and the rest correct. Anybody see this behavior?

I was surprised the imported media was not assigned the embedded Tape ID we have in the QT files. Anyway to bring the embedded TapeID from the QT file into Avid?

All this is media created in CatDV and imports correctly in FCP7

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: ProRes fast import TC errors
on Dec 5, 2012 at 10:54:35 pm

Unfortunately Media Composer doesn't support the embedded REEL metadata in a QT file via import nor AMA link. What I use in these scenarios is a free software called MetaCheater that creates an ALE file which does extract the REEL and puts into the TAPE field. Import the ALE first, then do a fast "batch" import of the selected clips created by the ALE import.

You can merge the REEL information after the fact with a little text editing of the ALE file into the already imported clips, but the REEL would need to live in either the Camroll or Labroll column in order to use for EDL's if that is a need.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 5, 2012 at 10:57:27 pm

You can also look into using QTChange from Videotoolshed:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

This one is still maintained and supported by the developer should any issue arise. The developer of MetaCheater has been busy editing The Hobbit, King Kong and Lovely Bones since he first wrote it... ;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:20:49 am

Looks like MC didn't see or like the timecode and defaulted to the general setting default timecoee which is normally 01:00:00:00
Be interesting to see how 2 of the files differ.
QTChanger is great for setting timcode and fps but i think setting reel id with it is still ignored with an import or AMA.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:03:27 pm

Further testing reveals that Premiere Pro has the same issue with the same files. QT Player, FCP7 or FCPX all read the TC fine.

I'll contact Squarebox support to try and resolve the issue.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 10, 2012 at 5:41:20 pm

Even more testing reveals that Premiere 6.5 reads the files that 5.5 couldn't. That leaves Avid 6.5 as the only app having trouble reading TC in some of CatDV's .mov exports.

Oddly it was only files with 1hr TC that had the issue. Not every 1hr "reel" but only 1hr reels.

I hate problems like this.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]