FORUMS: list search recent posts

prevent C: drive writing in MC5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Campbell
prevent C: drive writing in MC5
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:14:55 pm

Hi there.

I work at a university where we are running MC5 on Windows 7 machines with a single user account for all. We have the same problem every year, students filling up the C: drive accidently with media files instead of using the partitions they are provided with. Is there any way to lock avid so it cannot write media files to C: drive?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: prevent C: drive writing in MC5
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:42:03 pm

yes there is - in the Media Creation settings you can check filter out launch drive and filter out system drive.
That will stop them from accidentally using the "C" drive

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 3, 2012 at 9:17:23 pm

What Neil says is correct, however, I have found this must become a site setting and/or you must check the media creation settings every time you boot the app. Also, this does NOT keep "Audio Suite" renders from going to the C Drive unless you go to something like import and click apply to ALL. This is most aggravating. I am the only editor that consistently keeps media off the C Drive but I check Medai Creation Settings religiously, immediately and every time I open the app. - so my advice is train students to do this as a part of the workflow, else they will find their stuff offline when they come to work here because I delete all media on C Drive without question - it has proven to be the best teacher to our contract editors. :-)

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ian Campbell
on Dec 3, 2012 at 9:46:34 pm

[Ricky Barrow] "What Neil says is correct, however, I have found this must become a site setting and/or you must check the media creation settings every time you boot the app. Also, this does NOT keep "Audio Suite" renders from going to the C Drive unless you go to something like import and click apply to ALL."

I do teach them apply all, and that usually takes care of where captured footage goes, but I have seen avid "forget" media creation settings too many times (especially in the import window or titles).

I wonder if there is a preferences file that holds the settings for drives that could be written on boot by a script? Maybe a third party app out there that will keep things straight?

Return to posts index

David Budnetz
on Dec 3, 2012 at 10:32:35 pm

[Ian Campbell] "I wonder if there is a preferences file that holds the settings for drives that could be written on boot by a script? Maybe a third party app out there that will keep things straight?
"

You could also create a dummy "Avid MediaFiles" folder by naming a blank document "Avid MediaFiles", then deleting the extension. I have done this before with fairly positive results. I suppose you could also write a script to delete the mediafiles folder/dummy on shutdown, and writes a new dummy on login.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]