FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode Burn-In Generator starting at 1

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Jones
Timecode Burn-In Generator starting at 1
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:56:09 pm

Hello guru's out there, I'm new to the COW and Just transitioning to AVID MC from FCP. I work in animation and VFX and and in FCP to create a frame counter you can just apply the TC gen filter and set it to frames and it counts each shot. You offset it and it starts on FRAME 1. NOW in MC i apply the TImecode gen Plugin and it starts at zero. What I will need is each clip (ONE after each other) to start at one on its 1st frame. I have searched every where and tried everything that seems logical in MC but I either get the counter continuing up through every clip or counting Backwards starting from the Max frame count to 1 on each clip. If I had hair I would be pulling this out!!! is there any 3rd Party Plugin that can help me or am I just doing some thing dirty and wrong on the MC. I am a NOOB so its possible.

Cheers
and thanks.

MC 5.5 and MC 6 on MAC PRO and MBP

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Timecode Burn-In Generator starting at 1
on Dec 1, 2012 at 6:28:13 pm

The AVX plug-in is more of a misnomer by calling it a generator - it is more of a "displayer" as it reads the metadata from the sequence record side (above the monitors) or the sources themselves and displays them as appropriate. It does not let you set values directly in the plug-in and generate a new or different count than what is on the source and/or sequence.

If you want a different value at every cut point, then that is a source counter display, but there is not control to count the first frame of every event as 0 or 1. You can have a frame counter for source clips which will be an offset of the clip as used in the sequence which means it could be 0, 1, 10, 20, 137, etc. I use the DPX field for that as it combines a prefix-framecount so I use clipname-frame count that I set as either 0 or 1 depending on preferences. Then I can choose that as a source display - but it would start counting at 0 or 1 at every event.

Michael

Return to posts index

Charles Jones
on Dec 1, 2012 at 6:46:39 pm

Thank you,
Where would I find the frame counter for source clips you speak of? Thats sounds perfect! When you talk about the DPX field do you mean in the TImecode generator Plugin or in the actual Field input section of the BIN where the actual clip is?

A little confused and Im sorry for that company transitioning avid and I gotta catch up soon

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 1, 2012 at 6:54:15 pm

You would enter the frame based values in the bin in the column called "DPX". There is also a VFX column that counts as frames in case you need two of them that track different frame based sources and offsets.

Once in the bin, the value in that field supports up to 32 characters in the prefix and 7 digits in the frame count (to support 24 hours of timecode as absolute frames). So I would enter whatever as "clipname" and a value starting at 1 would look like:

clipname-0000001

You can now display this counter over the source/record monitors while editing.

For burn-in, you need to select "source" in the generator plug-in and find the DPX column. Select, and size and position as needed. You can save this off to a bin to use again and again. The steps may be off a bit as I am not in front of my MC right now but it's close. Let me know if that works.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]