FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alpha Channel and .png files in MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Carlson
Alpha Channel and .png files in MC
on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:46:12 pm

I'm authoring a Blu-ray disc primarily for audio, in which I'm making a movie in the Avid as part of the menu system. I've created still frames within Adobe Illustrator for each of the tracks and exported them as .png files. When I import these stills into MC 6, they come in with their alpha channels. My question is whether it is better to have an alpha channel or not within Media Composer. I'm not going to be doing any keying of these titles, so could use a flattened image. However, if there is no disadvantage to having a separate alpha channel, that would be fine as well. The still files are nearly twice as large when the alpha channel is not separated in the .png files.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Carlson

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: Alpha Channel and .png files in MC
on Dec 1, 2012 at 3:12:09 pm

Unless you have extremely limited storage space, it shouldn't be an issue. It's always good to have options - if you decide you want to key your graphics you won't have to reinvent the wheel.

Jon

Be curious, not judgmental.
Walt Whitman

Return to posts index

Tom Carlson
on Dec 1, 2012 at 3:20:12 pm

Thanks, Jon.

One thing I did notice was that the output of the text looked somewhat fuzzy when the alpha channel was included in the still file. It almost looks like a slight registration issue or the way it is flattened when output. Without the alpha, the text in the output looks quite crisp.

Tom

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 2, 2012 at 11:07:58 pm

Yes. I have noticed,this as well.

For this reason, we render everything with text as QuickTime , even if its a still. All text is crisp that way,

I think there is something wrong importing stills with text/alpha channel in Avid. Tried all three settings for field order and nothing fixes it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]