FORUMS: list search recent posts

convert 23.98 to 59.94 for monitoring

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony wise
convert 23.98 to 59.94 for monitoring
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:28:59 pm

Recently moved from Final Cut to Avid. I have a decklink studio card. I'm outputing component to JVC_DTV monitor and then daisy chaining from the JVC to a Panasonic Plasma client monitor. The Panasonic can not do 23. 98, the JVC can. In final cut I could set it to convert 1080/23.98 to 1080/59.94 so I could view the material on both monitors. That does not seem to be the case with Avid. The decklink card does not do this conversion. The only way to view the clips on both monitors is too convert to SD using the decklink control panel - this will not do.

Am I missing something? Any work arounds with my current set-up or do I have to invest in new hardware? Thanks.

Return to posts index

August Anderson
Re: convert 23.98 to 59.94 for monitoring
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:50:00 am

There is an answer to this!

You need to crossconvert playback to 59.94 in Video Output. The Video Output option is in the Settings tab. I don't have a machine next to me right now that has external monitoring.

I THINK that's where it is... v6.5 disables the video output option if you don't have hardware to monitor so I can't double check. Can anyone confirm that?

August Anderson

QRSlate QR-Code Film Slate
• App: http://www.qrslate.com
• 

Return to posts index

tony wise
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:13:18 am

Thanks for the reply August. You're right, that's exactly what I need to do, but the video output setting brings up my decklink control panel and in that there is no option to convert to 59.94 for playback. Not on a mac at least - on a pc you do have that option with the decklink card I believe. Coming from Final Cut I've always been able to do the conversion inside fcp - not with the decklink card. I'm at a loss. Can't really even find any reasonable hardware options out there apart from buying a new client monitor that plays 23.98. Help a Final Cut convert out Avid users!

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:34:23 am

Hmm, didn't realize that was hardware specific. Makes sense though. I've only used dealt with AJA products, and the Konas and IO Expresses both must have that capability.

Dah, sorry. Hope someone else can chime in and help!

August Anderson

QRSlate QR-Code Film Slate
• App: http://www.qrslate.com
• 

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:40:04 pm

This might not be practical in your case...

Make a copy of the sequence.

Create a new 59.94 project.

Open the bin that contains the sequence copy in the 59.94 project. Avid will add motion adapters to the sequence to convert it to 59.94. It will play properly on both monitors, but you will be editing in 59.94, which might not be what you want.

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:51:53 pm

I've been trying to solve the same problem using an Intensity Pro card. Blackmagic Support tells me that although Final Cut Pro and Windows operating systems permit this conversion, Media Composer on Mac does not. I can see a correct output of 24p material if I set the MC format to 60i, but this means that the project will all be in 60i. There's no way to change the setting of such a project back to 24p.

Alfred Guzzetti
Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz 4GB RAM
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.7.5
Media Composer 6.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

tony wise
on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:04:49 pm

Yep, that's basically it. Talked extensively with both Blackmagic and Avid. They essentially say it's the other company's problem.

Return to posts index

Rob Tobin
on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:13:52 pm

Hello,
I would like confirmation from anyone using MC 6.5 and an intensity pro card that it CAN NOT IN FACT
PLAYBACK 23.98. Just build a brand new 3.33 6-core 10.8.3 MC 6.5.3 hoping to use HDMI as a monitor
(monitor only system have SDI for grading)

After much investigation... I believe although AVID labels it as "P" they really output "Psf" which is not
supported via HDMI. This doesn't explain why it does not work component out. Both Blackmagic and AVID
claim this card is supported. It does work with FCP as a cross convert to 59.94. I see they offer a deckling
mini monitor that supports Psf but I would image it is only via SDI and then would need a SDI to HDMI converter.

I have two other systems running AVID and AJA cards that do this conversion via SDI.
ANYONE ELSE?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:11:54 pm

Last January the Blackmagic representative told me that it was FCP that does the conversion from 60i to 24p and that this feature is not built into the Mac version of Media Composer. He said he would put this on the wish list for future versions of the Intensity driver. I don't know if this has happened--or even if it's possible. It would also be something for the wish list of Media Composer. Does anyone have any information about whether this feature is in the works?

Alfred Guzzetti
Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz 4GB RAM
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.7.5
Media Composer 6.5.2
Sorenson Squeeze 8.1
Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
Compressor 4
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved