FORUMS: list search recent posts

It's my computer good enough for edit 1080p from Canon XA10 HD with Avid Media Encoder 6?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo H M Silva
It's my computer good enough for edit 1080p from Canon XA10 HD with Avid Media Encoder 6?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:08:07 pm

Hi guys; (sorry about the english... I'm brazilian)

I just got a New Video Editing Workstation from my local PC store (the plan was replace my old Late 2009 C2D 3.06GHz 27" iMac) and I would like to ask to all the professionals here if my computer can work with stability with Avid Media Composer 6.

Here's my config:

2x AOC 23" 51 Series 1920x1080 resolution
Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Mobo
16 GB RAM model Corsair Dominator SDRAM DDR3 1600
Graphic Card NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti
160GB HDD Samsung 7200 RPM (for Windows and Avid Media Composer
1.5TB HDD Seagate 7200 RPM (For store raw material and finished vids)
500GB USB 3.0 Western Digital (used as scratch and projects disk)
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000

The footages i edit are always comming from a Canon XA10 HD Camera with Class10 SDHC Cards. My timeline always end with 1, 2 hours of duration. And i also make a lot of After Effects transitions with Alpha to use on Premiere for de edit, but with the new machine i REALLY want to start using Avid Media Composer 6 and stop using Adobe Premiere CS6 (on windows i get a lot of problems... Like the program shutting down all by himself and etc...)

Please guys... Help-me with some info...

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: It's my computer good enough for edit 1080p from Canon XA10 HD with Avid Media Encoder 6?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:22:00 pm

Avid qualifies a series of PCs and Macs that will work with Media Composer. Whilst your machine would not be "officially" supported by Avid the basic spec seems like you should be OK. You might find it useful to go to the Avid site here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en422411 where you can download a list of the qualified machines. It lists OS, CPU, GPU ram requirements etc. At least that will give you a good understanding of the type of spec you need.
I have run Avid quite happily on "unsupported" machines in the past but they have always been very close to the spec of one of the qualified PCs.
I would say that you need to make sure your media storage drives are quick enough. 7200 RPM is good but a single drive may struggle a little with multiple streams of HD media. So that is perhaps one area where you need to check. I would also try to use a qualified GPU as that can be the cause of some issues otherwise.

Other than that all you can do is give it a try and see.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Gustavo H M Silva
Re: It's my computer good enough for edit 1080p from Canon XA10 HD with Avid Media Encoder 6?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:18:33 pm

Hi Neil Patience!

Thanks a lot for the reply. I know about the official machines but here in Brazil get one of that means pay almost 60% of the product in taxes... Making a math between Workstation Value + Taxes from import + UPS it's complicated to pay for something like this... That's why i decided to make this machine.

PS: About the HDD... I understant that a simple 7200RPM SATA2 drive will not offer sufficient speed for my raw footages... So i plan to use the USB 3.0 (speed test tell me that i can run MXF fullHD without problems) to that job... At least if AVID recognize that External USB 3 HDD as Scratch Disk... The 7200RPM Internal SATA2 HDD it's just a repository to storage works that I have done.

It's very nice to Know that my machine will run Avid ok... Now i have another mistery to solve... How to convert all my old APPLE PRORES422 videos to something that AVID uses natively... what is the official format for AVID, MXF?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:30:12 am

It will work as long as you convert all of that footage to DNxHD.

[Gustavo H M Silva] "How to convert all my old APPLE PRORES422 videos to something that AVID uses natively... what is the official format for AVID, MXF?"

Avid has a ProRes 422 MXF...so if you simply import those files into the bin, Avid will quick import them and make them MXF...no recompression.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gustavo H M Silva
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:46:56 am

Cool Shane Ross!

[Shane Ross]Avid has a ProRes 422 MXF...so if you simply import those files into the bin, Avid will quick import them and make them MXF...no recompression.

I Had no idea that AVID Could convert my Apple ProRes422 Files in Windows... I was trying to use MPEGStreamclip withous sucess yesterday!

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Dec 1, 2012 at 1:40:16 am

Just to be clear prores does not fast import on windows but must convert to dnxhd in less using a macintosh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]