FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stringouts

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Bearfield-Boyd
Stringouts
on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:43:31 pm

Hi

Could someone talk me through a string out in Avid. I am new to Avid but a very competent Editor and have never come across this terminology.

Thanks.

Gavin Bearfield-Boyd

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Stringouts
on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:10:54 pm

I've always understood a stringout to be a selection of shots/segments that are meant as the base for a scene. Something that a content editor for reality TV might create, and then send it off to an editor that will actually create a proper scene, trimming cuts, adding sound/music, filling in blanks, covering visible cuts in interviews, that kind of stugg.

I also use the term for sequences with rough selects that I may gather when browsing through documentary-style footage, which I intend to later use as a source sequence.

But that may just be me.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:31:00 pm

Means the same thing for me. Either just the VO and sound bites strung out if you have a script...or sound bites strung out back to back, with no footage covering it, no music, no pacing. Just things in order. Also called a RADIO CUT, as it is really audio only.

Something that is also typically assigned to assistants.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Nov 27, 2012 at 1:00:48 pm

Another meaning for it (from my experience in commercials and features) is scenes with the fat trimmed out, but in scene order. The reason being a good majority of avid editors edit by working with sequences in the source window because its so easy to pop back and forth between the source/record. Something not easy and clean to do in FCP (and I believe premiere).

So there might be a string out sc101 sc102... Etc. and each scene has all the sub scenes in alpha/numer order, from action to cut. So you're not looking at useless material.

August Anderson

QRSlate QR-Code Film Slate
• App: http://www.qrslate.com
• 

Return to posts index

Matthew Waysdorf
on Nov 29, 2012 at 5:02:16 am

Welcome to reality tv! Stringouts are scripts, usually generated by producers and then assembled by AEs from grouped clips. The editors then start from an assembled sequence with all the angles rather than having to pull everything themselves. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]