FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Media Composer 6.5 v Avid Symphony 6.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Gotti
Avid Media Composer 6.5 v Avid Symphony 6.5
on Nov 24, 2012 at 7:57:29 pm

Which is better?

I hear Avid Symphony has better grading tools, is this true? Then why does MC even exist then?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Media Composer 6.5 v Avid Symphony 6.5
on Nov 24, 2012 at 9:00:25 pm

[Oscar Gotti] "Which is better?"

Symphony. Because it offers more. It is also more expensive, because it offers more.

[Oscar Gotti] "I hear Avid Symphony has better grading tools, is this true?"

It is true, Symphony has better color correction tools. But it also has what is called Universal Mastering, meaning that you can output any format to any other format...like PAL to NTSC, SD as HD, HD as SD, frame rate conversions.

[Oscar Gotti] "Then why does MC even exist then?"

So that people and companies who don't need universal mastering or high end color correction can buy a cheaper version to just edit. A wide group of Avid seats are offline cutting only, meaning used to cut story only. Deal with low resolution media and just plain cut. Then, when they finish, they use the more expensive tool. Why buy tools that you will never need?

This is how Avid got cheaper and cheaper. Script Sync used to be built in, and it shipped with all sorts of extras. But, not everyone used Script Sync, and the license fee for Avid to include it was driving the price up, so they removed it and made it a separate tool you could buy. Thus, Media Composer and Symphony are cheaper than they used to be. But if you want all the tools it used to have, you'd come out about the same...well, still a tad cheaper.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Nov 24, 2012 at 9:06:11 pm

Thank you for your response!

On an unrelated matter, why is it that some editors cut on a low resolution (for offline editing)? I currently edit on FCP, is that not possible on this software?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:18:38 pm

[Oscar Gotti] "On an unrelated matter, why is it that some editors cut on a low resolution (for offline editing)?"

Because of the sheer amount of footage we have and the amount of storage required to edit that at high quality would be astronomical. The current show I am on has easily 10-15 thousand hours of footage. Multiple cameras following multiple people. Same with something like DEADLIEST CATCH. They shoot about 100 tapes a day. Multiple cameras on multiple ships...for days. There is no way we could have all of that footage at full quality online all the time. Storage requirement would be through the roof.

[Oscar Gotti] "I currently edit on FCP, is that not possible on this software?"

SURE it is. Has been for years. There's OFFLINE RT, an offline codec for SD, then OFFLINE RT HD for HD, or ProRes Proxy. Those are all offline quality codecs.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:23:17 pm

Thanks! You have been a great help

Return to posts index

chad merriman
Avid Symphony network query
on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:13:32 pm

We have 5 avid symphonies all with their own Raid drives.
We not operating a unity but have set up a network to be able to read each computer , which is working fine. However, when I open a bin or project from the other avid, it sees everything, but the media is offline.
Is it possible to be able to read the media too? Or do we need some extra software from Avid?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Symphony network query
on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:37:02 pm

You need to enable SHARING on the other computers...have them share the media drives. Then you need to mount the media drives on your computer. THEN it will see the media

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

chad merriman
Re: Avid Symphony network query
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:14:42 pm

The sharing is enabled, and the drives mounted. I can see the media too and copy if I want to. But when i go into Avid itself, the project shows the media as offline?
Not sure why. Do I need to enable Avid sharing or something??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]