FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to check in and out points of clips already in the timeline?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Adamson
How to check in and out points of clips already in the timeline?
on Nov 23, 2012 at 5:48:54 am

So I'm trying to transfer a project from avid to final cut because - not to explain my entire reasoning but - it will be easier in the long run. I guess in final cut I'm used to double clicking on a clip and getting the timecode in the viewer, but I cannot for the life of me find out how to check the in and out points of clips in the timeline.

I thought maybe clicking on one of my rushes in my main bin would help, but it only shows me the in and out points that I initially used for each clip, before I started trimming and such in the timeline.

I'm sure it's a simple fix, but 'timecode' and 'in and out points' are such common keywords that I just got lost trying to find an answer on google.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to check in and out points of clips already in the timeline?
on Nov 23, 2012 at 8:02:29 am

Transferring an entire project from Avid to FCP will not be easy. It will be a pain. Yes, you can do SEQUENCES fine, with Automatic Duck. But all of the media, that will be tricky. And you'll have to reorganize everything. Is it worth it just to see the IN and OUT points in the manner you are used to in FCP?

How you do it in Avid is set the timecode display on the upper right on the PROGRAM (Canvas) to display the timecode of the clip...but you have to target the track you want it to read. So you have it target V1...or V2, whereever the clips are. Then you go to the first frame of the clip, note the timecode...go to the last frame...note the timecode.

Or...export an EDL.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Nov 23, 2012 at 1:10:02 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try, and it's not a very long project.

The reason it's worth doing it by timecode is I've converted my files to Prores, whereas my Avid Media Files are .mxf so I don't think exporting and EDL (I assume that's the Avid equivalent of XML?) would work because it wouldn't be the same files anyway.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2012 at 5:19:21 pm

[Tim Adamson] " I don't think exporting and EDL (I assume that's the Avid equivalent of XML?) would work because it wouldn't be the same files anyway."

No, it isn't equivalent to XML...it's different. Very OLD form of data that is still used today for tape to tape assembly...but also to track footage. We use this to track how much stock footage was used in a show, so we can order it and price it out. Also used as Music Cue Sheets, finding the in and out points of music and where it is in the cut.

It doesn't matter if the files are MXF or ProRes QT...it's reading the timecode and reel information from them...and name.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]