FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow between two users, one in Los Angeles, the other in Germany

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Diennet
Workflow between two users, one in Los Angeles, the other in Germany
on Nov 20, 2012 at 5:55:46 am

Hi there everybody,

So, my editing partner and I are trying to edit our recently wrapped picture in tandem with one another, her working in Germany and I in Los Angeles.

We're using the trial version of AVID Media Composer 6.5, we haven't made the commitment because we want to get a program that will work for our special situation.

You see, we have to finish the movie by February, so we'll be splitting up the film, pretty standard stuff, however, all our attempts to exchange files (be they .aaf, .avb, .ale) have all failed when the program tells us that the media is offline.

We have two completely identical hard drives, same name, same files, we can't figure it out.

The files themselves do open, the only issue as that they don't seem to be linking. The media remains offline no matter what we've tried.

Please, if anyone can help us with this or point us in the direction of another program, though we are partial to AVID, we are willing to do what's necessary to finish the film as swiftly and efficiently as possible while being able to work together.

Help would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Workflow between two users, one in Los Angeles, the other in Germany
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22:18 pm

I do this all the time between Boston and Los Angeles.
Does one system see the media and the other doesn't?

If the drives are copies of each other, then both systems have all the media. The first thing to look at is whether the Avid MediaFiles folder structure is the same and at the root level of the drive on both systems.

hard drive/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ then a series of numbered folders.

Then, in each of the numbered folders, delete the msm... files to force Media Composer to rebuild the database just in case.

Now with the same Avid project to start, Media Composer will find the media.

At this point, you are not sharing AAF or ALE, but sending a bin from the project. I would advise zipping the .avb file (bin) before sending as some email programs can damage the header of the file. This is going to be up to you how you manage sending updates and such. I always make a new bin for transfer and put sequence and such in there before sending so as to not overwrite any existing bins on the other system.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow between two users, one in Los Angeles, the other in Germany
on Nov 20, 2012 at 8:50:25 pm

I do the same between Virginia and Los Angeles. As long as the media is in the way Michael indicates, we just share bins. All works slick and easy. Just need to re-render and create title media when we get the cuts from the other editor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]