FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 422 issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ewert
ProRes 422 issue
on Nov 16, 2012 at 5:56:05 pm

Hi;

I have just switched from FCP 7 to Avid MC 6.5 on a new system that is Mac based with a Kona 3G capture card. With the Kona, I have the option of using ProRes for capture which is what we used for FCP and its also what we use for playback for live shows. Here is my problem, although the documentation says I can AMA link to QT files (including ProRes) I get a error from the Avid saying I may need the plug-in to do this. The plug-in came bundled with the software and is loaded so I'm not sure what its asking for. I have also noticed that I have no longer have the option to export to ProRes either in Avid or in other conversion software (such as Digital Juice) where I did before. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ProRes 422 issue
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:15:09 pm

All the AMA plugins...the most current ones...are here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Media-Access/plug-ins

I HIGHLY suggest that once you link to the files via AMA, you CONSOLIDATE to your media drive...as ProRes MXF if you want...not touching the resolution. It will now be in the Avid Media format, and Avid file structure. Just editing via AMA is not recommended, as the files aren't in the Avid file structure, and might lose connections or act weird in all sorts of ways.

As for exporting....you use the option SEND TO QT MOVIE, and set up the ProRes codec in that interface. Then save it as EXPORT ProRes setting for later use.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Ewert
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:24:56 pm

Hi Shane;

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure its a problem outside of Avid, but Im not even getting the option of using ProRes compression when I export from the Avid as a Quicktime movie. Its just gone.

Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:29:38 pm

SO you selected EXPORT...then in the drop down menu SEND TO QT Movie...Clicked on OPTIONS...then you can either leave it as SAME AS SOURCE (if the media is ProRes MXF...this won't work if it is ProREs QT accessed via AMA)...or clicked on CUSTOM, then clicked on FORMAT OPTIONS, and in the window that opens clicked on SETTINGS in the VIdeo section, selected COMPRESSION TYPE drop down menu and don't see ProREs? I see it as Apple ProRes 422...and other options.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Ewert
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:40:34 pm

Correct. And I get the usual options of Animation, Sorenson, H264, mpeg4, along with Avids formats but no ProRes.

Mark

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:38:35 pm

There were some issues with APR QT through AMA. But more importantly: do not AMA then transcode, but do a Fast Import. Meaning that if your sources have the same dimensions and framerate as your project, and you select File-Import and choose '709' for the luma levels, you can fast import the APR from Quicktime to MXF.

Upon export, do NOT manually select an export to ProRes (as this will cause the infamous QT gamma shifts), but rather export Same As Source. Much cleaner workflows.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:43:03 pm

BTW: you should not need to install any AMA plugins, as the QT plugin is the only one that comes bundled with the standard install.

If QT can play back the file, AMA should too, since it just looks at whatever QT player is sending into its pipeline.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:43:57 pm

Right...Job is right. Set your MEDIA CREATION to ProRes MXF and then just Import. Then export SAME AS SOURCE.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:49:29 pm

Even that is not necessary. If a source file is suited for Fast Import, no matter the destination resolution you choose, MC will ask you wether or not it should preserve the resolution of the source file(s). If you tell it to preserve the source file's resolution, it will Fast Import.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:50:20 pm

True again. I did notice that when we got graphics from our graphics guy. I forgot about that.

Job is da man!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:12:48 pm

I also cannot export pro res, there is no option for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]