FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ama (C300 + 5D)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Collins
Ama (C300 + 5D)
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:52:22 pm

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can point me in the correct direction of a decent back to basic tutorial? Just moved across from FCP. Having absolute nightmare with assets. AMA assets in to project. Some C300 footage, some pretranscoded 5D footage. I have all the assets on two hard drives. One at home, one at work. I keep the project files on dropbox. What is the process I'm suppose to follow once the footage is imported? Am I suppose to consolidate everything once imported? (seems bonkers I need to have 2 copies of the same footage on the same drive) How can I manually relink a subclip to a file located else where on the drive?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Ama (C300 + 5D)
on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:26:21 pm

Ama to your c300 shots. You may want to then transcode those to something else for the actual editing. Kinda depends on the system and amount of footage. We've had pretty good results with c300 editing straight from the Ama clips...not nearly as hard on the system as h264's.

Also your transcode will depend on whether you want a low Res offline workflow, or you want to jump straight to high quality online....edit it and I'm done workflow

For the canon I would usually just do a hard import of the footage. If you have a ton of it, you may want to ama it, but if you do, you will want to transcode.

If you are working low Res you can always batch import you final ed back up to high Res at the end of the process

Two 2 copies have to be thought of as "camera originals". And working files. Not a big deal if you lose the working files....as long as you still have your camera originals.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 15, 2012 at 8:31:20 am

The C300...Consolidate. It shoots MXF, which Avid reads natively. Consoldate it (no compression occurs) to the media drive so that it will be in the Avid media file structure.

5D...yeah, straight import. As DNxHD 145 or 175...depending on the frame rate you shot. The formats will mix fine. Avid doesn't edit H.264...straight AMA..well at all. Avid likes Avid media.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 15, 2012 at 9:24:53 am

Normal route is to AMA everything (in batches) make selects and then consolidate the C300 media and transcode the 5D media. AMA and Transcode is way faster than the old legacy import process. Also with AMA you can alter the AMA settings for levels etc before you transcode. With import get it worng and you have to do it again.
And yes you really need to make a second set of media for editing as that's how Avid works best with it. On a standlaone system I ofte work direct with AMA but if you need two sets and are roving AMA will be a pain.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Jon Collins
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:26:24 am

OK thanks everyone. Its all clicked into place now. My original media files are just that. Shouldn't be used for editing. I AMA footage into the project and then consolidate to working drive. I've pre transcoded the 5D stuff to avoid locking up AVID with transcoding. So I guess I do the same with those files. AMA in and then consolidate and then I guess I can remove those original transcoded files.

As I don't plan to create proxies to edit with (extra step plus my system seems to be handling multiple streams of video fine), can anyone tell me why I'd AMA stuff and not direct import?

Many thanks guys.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Collins
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:49:47 am

OK thanks everyone. Its all clicked into place now. My original media files are just that. Shouldn't be used for editing. I AMA footage into the project and then consolidate to working drive. I've pre transcoded the 5D stuff to avoid locking up AVID with transcoding. So I guess I do the same with those files. AMA in and then consolidate and then I guess I can remove those original transcoded files.

As I don't plan to create proxies to edit with (extra step plus my system seems to be handling multiple streams of video fine), can anyone tell me why I'd AMA stuff and not direct import?

And one other point, what would be the correct workflow to run this from work and at home? Should I just lug the working external RAID around and work direct from that?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:54:52 am

AMA and Transcode can be 6 times faster than import.
If you do ever need to go back to the sources (Avid media gets deleted) you can just AMA mount and re-link the sequence. If you import you have to batch re-import all the media even if ony a small part used.
Also as I said with AMA you can check levels and change the AMA setting before you transcode (check "set source settings")

Import is legacy now AMA is the way.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Jon Collins
on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:07:53 am

OK great thanks. So on that note, once I've finished on a project, how can I archive it? Surely all my media files from different projects are going to merge into the AVID working folder? Should I just be running separate drives for each project?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 15, 2012 at 9:12:54 pm

You can rename your mxf/1 folder to something else after you are done consolidating. That will put any renders as well as any added footage to a brand new mxf/1 folder, but leave the bulk of the media seperate. If you only do 1 project at a time you can wait till you are done before renaming the folder.

If you rename the folder with letters instead of just numbers it will be read only...and the database will not be update able.

You can also download automatic ducks media copy to copy used media to a new folder

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]