FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picture Sync with Smart Slate

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Czyzewski
Picture Sync with Smart Slate
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:19:19 am

Hello,

I am synching picture to picture (for reference), and no audio is involved. The production used smart slates and thus that is what I'm using to sync. In some clips, the sticks look closed in one frame but it's not until the next frame that the TC on the slate actually stops. I am assuming that I use the matching TC to sync as opposed to the clapper sticks (usually sticks and TC synch up, but every now and then there'll be a shot where the sticks seem to close a frame earlier than the TC, as I previously mentioned). Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Picture Sync with Smart Slate
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:33:24 am

I usually will try to synch by the visible timecode. I'll wait until the last whole second before the clap before the clap. Mainly because the moment of the clap can easily be misinterpreted but a number on the frame level is pretty absolute.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Picture Sync with Smart Slate
on Nov 14, 2012 at 10:38:30 am

To me, sync is defined by sticks and waveform. Timecode works great for getting me close via AutoSync, but I will slip sync based on what I see in the frames, and where the spike in the waveform lies. Even though my projects may not be film-based, I still make 35mm/4 perf projects in order to be able to slip by 1/4 frame. By looking at the speed of the clap closing over a couple frames, I adjust the spike to where true sync lies. Media Composer will adjust the timecode accordingly for EDL's when it slips over frame boundaries. The PerfSlip column tracks +/1 1/4 frame increments.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]