FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering playback

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Felix
Stuttering playback
on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:36:49 pm

Hi! Re-learning AVID (after 10 years) and all good except that I have stuttering playback from the timeline AND whilst playing sources. PLayback will always start out OK, then start to stutter. Checked everything I can think of: Everything is rendered (in any case, as I said, it does it playing source clips too). The video quality setting is draft: yellow.

Imac 2011 3.4 I7 16Gb RAM The AMD Radeon HD 6970 card ...
The drives are a combination of Thunderbolt connected RAID and FW800.

Could the weak link be the FW drives (they're all G-Tech)? If so that's disappointing because FCP and PPro would cope fine!

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Stuttering playback
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:56:43 pm

In the timeline, do you have red, blue or yellow bars in the timecode ribbon for the spans where it stutters? The colors will indicate whether it is the drive, the effect trying to play in real time, etc. If I remember correctly, blue was for drive being unable to keep up.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jon Felix
on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:02:49 pm

Thankyou for the reply.... no blue bits .. just red and yellow .. but only on part of the timeline .. other parts have no color bars on top and they still wont play properly. Also of source clips viewed in the source window stutter too.

mmmmmmmmm

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:47:05 pm

What format are you working with? And did you access it via AMA and are trying to edit native, or did you transcode to DNxHD?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jon Felix
on Nov 14, 2012 at 1:24:56 am

Transcoded stuff, Shane

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:49:26 am

To what DNxHD codec?

August Anderson

QRSlate QR-Code Film Slate
• App: http://www.qrslate.com
• 

Return to posts index

Jon Felix
on Nov 14, 2012 at 8:50:17 pm

Hi August. To answer your question: I do not know (wasn't my project originally), since everything is off-line (see my other posted problem).

And everything is off-line because I tried to move the project to a faster (Thunderbolt) drive to fix the stuttering playback - assuming that is was the FW drive.

I have lost two days now ... won't be using AVID again in a hurry ... back to Premiere and even the beautiful simplicity of old FCP7.

j

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]