FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Tools compatibilty

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Snell
Pro Tools compatibilty
on Nov 11, 2012 at 11:14:03 pm

Hi,

I am new to ProTools, and am considering the purchase to work at home on school projects. Our school uses Apple computers and Pro Tools 8.
I have a PC and would need to buy a current windows version, as Pro Tools 8 is no longer available.

I have been trying to find out if I go ahead and purchase a current windows version of Pro Tools, will I be able to work on my school project which is done on the MAC version of ProTools 8?

My school project is the only reason I would be purchasing ProTools, I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for anything I do privately. I would hope to be able to sell it after my project is over, but have read there are issues with transfering the software to someone else?

Any help with this decision is highly appreciated..

Andrea

Return to posts index

Jonathan Abrams
Re: Pro Tools compatibilty
on Nov 26, 2012 at 1:23:00 am

If you need to work on your school project at home, then open it up on the school's system again, you will need to save a copy of your session from your home system as v9 (.ptf). There are features in v10 (currently shipping) that are incompatible with v9 and earlier, plus a v10 file (.ptx) will not open with v9 or earlier.

--
Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNT
Apple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5) Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)
Vice-Chairman, NY section, AES

Return to posts index

Andrea Snell
Re: Pro Tools compatibilty
on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:21:49 am

Hi - thanks for the response. It turned out to be much more simple than that. We had a faulty firewire cable at school and the files had become corrupt. The version 8.0.1 from school and 8.0.5 which I had are already naturally compatible (which I always thought they should have been).

The error message that I received when trying to open my session had led me to believe it was a compatability issue between ProTools versions. After hours and hours of trying to find where the problem might be, we ended up trying something very simple to test the data I had copied: play one of the copied .wav files outside of protools. They should have played back but did not. So when my school opened up again on monday, before any other trouble shooting we copied the files again and they all played like a charm on my laptop without any further adjustments.

I just wished I had thought of checking the .wav files much sooner, instead of researching MAC to PC and version compatibility issues for hours that weekend...so many hours wasted trying to find a solution to a problem that did not exist, but was due to a bad cable and corrupt data. But it works now!

Andrea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]