FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 4444 12-bit

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Frome
ProRes 4444 12-bit
on Nov 5, 2012 at 2:08:08 pm

Hello Ladies and Gents -

Let's pretend I transcode a REDRAW or CinemaDNG file into ProRes4444 (which is 12-bit) and edit inside MC - will color correcting that footage take advantage of the 12-bit latitude? I ask this because I don't know what Avid's internal processing bit depth is -- whether those 12-bits are just going to get swashed into 10bits, etc.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: ProRes 4444 12-bit
on Nov 5, 2012 at 5:21:42 pm

I know that all DNxHD encoding and decoding in Symphony Nitris is 10 bit. I have a copy of Avid's "Supported Formats" document which does not offer anything more than 10 bit on any format so my guess is that 10bit is the max, however that document is only up to and including V5.5
A quick look at Avid's site does not mention 12 bit as far as I can see.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:36:57 pm

[Neil Patience] "I know that all DNxHD encoding and decoding in Symphony Nitris is 10 bit. I have a copy of Avid's "Supported Formats" document which does not offer anything more than 10 bit on any format so my guess is that 10bit is the max, however that document is only up to and including V5.5
A quick look at Avid's site does not mention 12 bit as far as I can see."

Some interesting "initial" findings: Fast-importing ProRes4444 (12-bit) seems to result in proper 12-bit color correction.

I tested this by creating a 12-bit, 10-bit, and 8-bit version of a single shot - a shot which was grossly underexposed. I then pasted the same color correction filter on every version of the shot and compared. The results are visually obvious that the 12-bit file holds up the best.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:50:09 pm

Although Avid codecs are 10 bit, certain processing paths are >10bit.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]