FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burn DVD AMC 6+ on new Macs

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Burn DVD AMC 6+ on new Macs
on Nov 4, 2012 at 12:36:36 am

Still pretty new to Avid and haven't made a DVD, but anticipate to be making DVD's of lengthy assemblies and cuts soon.

My understanding is that even with AMC 6.5, there is no DVD compression or burn application of Mac?

If so: How does one burn DVD's with AMC on a Mac?

Is iDVD or Studio Pro, and Compressor needed? The producer I'm working with does not have these apps, and I don't believe they can be purchased anymore. Also, I don't think iDVD comes on the new Macs do they?

Tutorials are always appreciated!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Burn DVD AMC 6+ on new Macs
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:40:27 am

I use Adobe Media Encoder and Adobe Encore for DVD compression and authoring. You can still get Compressor for the MPEG encoding on the App Store. You can get 30 day trials of the Adobe products or Suite - the suite is a better deal as you know you will always need Photoshop and After Effects in the workflow at some point.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 4, 2012 at 2:06:20 am

I see. I'm actually the assistant editor, and I'm not sure about the system specs. An editor hasn't been hired. Just getting the sense that it's going to be a rented computer, and that the producer might want to make as few purchases as possible at this point.

How would you burn the DVD after using the new Compressor?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 4, 2012 at 2:14:21 am

Depends on how much authoring, menus and such. If it's just a "first play" of the timeline, then something like Toast will do the job.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 4, 2012 at 2:34:42 am

So basically, if iDVD isn't on the computer, the producer is going to have to buy something to author the DVDs? I'm sure first play is fine (pretty sure DVDs would be for screening and funding).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 4, 2012 at 2:41:11 am

If they are renting the system, then they can most likely provide software. Or a DVD recorder which you can pick up for a song and a dance these days.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:08:40 pm

Its a pretty simple solution. If the producers are renting the equipment, and they are asking for the equipment to be able to create dvd's, they are going to have to pay the cost for that part of the equipment.

DVD creator on the app store is between 20 and 40 bucks. Compressor is 50 bucks. Toast is probably 80 bucks?

(They will have to pay for blank DVDs as well)

If the producers can't handle this type of cost, i might be looking for a different place to work, as i'd be wondering if my pay cheques will be coming in.

My two cents.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]