FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Xpress Pro 4.64 project to latest AMC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Avid Xpress Pro 4.64 project to latest AMC
on Nov 3, 2012 at 1:36:20 am

I'm talking with a producer about relaunching a feature doc. It seems to be a very far-along cut, with text and transitions, and like they had a very detailed organization system in terms of bins.

According to the producer, the project is:
AVID XPRESS PRO 4.64, 30 fps, 48 khz 24 bit audio

And there are some new dailies at DV Cam continuous 29.97 w/ Timecode that need to be loaded, etc.

I've seen that there are a few video tutorials on migrating from Xpress to MC, but I thought I'd get some feedback here too. And if anyone has any recommended tutorials, that would be great.

My initial questions are:
- What version of MC to go with - 6 or 6.5? Or 5.5?
- What is the best approach/process to relaunch this project?
- What are the pitfalls to look out for?
- Any dos and don'ts? Any other thoughts?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Avid Xpress Pro 4.64 project to latest AMC
on Nov 3, 2012 at 1:48:59 pm

Just hook up the mediafiles, and open up the project on any MC or Symphony. No pitfalls. If they haven't stored the mediafiles, you'll need to batch capture or batch import the original footage. Other than that, the media and the project files will travel to any modern version of MC/SY without any issue, other than that opening up sequences with certain effects are likely to need to be promoted to the current version of the effect, which will happen automatically.

You can go with 6 or 6.5 depending on your preference.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 4, 2012 at 12:03:42 am

Great.

I thought I saw somewhere, though, that a new project should be started and that the bins should be brought into the new project? Is one way more safe? Pitfalls?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 4, 2012 at 3:56:50 pm

I've been doing some reading on this and it seems some people have issues with reconnecting media.

I think the producer will just be handing me hard drives with the project and media files, and won't have access to the computer where the project was being edited two years ago - does that matter?

If media files have trouble reconnecting, would I simply delete the two data base folders in the numbered media folders and try relaunching the project?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 4, 2012 at 12:06:18 am

Also, would it matter if it was going from a PC to a Mac?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:40:33 pm

- You should be able to use the same project, but creating a fresh one and copying across the bins is a somewhat safer way

- You should not have any issues with footage not linking; you could delete the msm.pmr and msm.db files from the mediafiles folders if only to force the Avid to rebuild these databases. It's safe, but not required.

- Mac-PC should not matter at all, just beware that you should not use HFS+ formatted drives as media drives on a PC, nor should you use NTFS formatted drives as media drives on a Mac. You're better off copying the media to a properly formatted drive.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:46:54 pm

Great. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]