FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED AMA Volume Linking not possible in AMC 5?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Paez
RED AMA Volume Linking not possible in AMC 5?
on Nov 2, 2012 at 10:24:46 am

I recently edited a music video shot on Red on Avid Media Computer 5.5.3. I transcoded the footage with Avid Metafuze and imported them into Avid with the ale file. I followed some of this video for onlining afterwards and tried to read up on how to fix my problem , which was that I couldn't seem to make the new ONLINE sequence connect to the AMA Volume where the RED files where located, so what I ended up doing was that I match framed the offline clips and wrote down the start timecodes and then manually went into the RED clips via Avid AMA and found the correct timecode and replace edit into the timeline. REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. I am currently editing a short film which is shot on RED EPIC. I'd really like for this to not happen again but I am dredding it. What have I missed and what should I be mindful of?

https://vimeo.com/42417253

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: RED AMA Volume Linking not possible in AMC 5?
on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:59:39 pm

While I am/was a big fan of MetaFuze when it came out, it really hasn't been developed to the full promise of the original plan. But can still have a place in certain workflows.

But for RED files, there is no need for MetaFuze considering Redcine X Pro exists on both Mac and PC platforms, gives you full access to all color parameters and creates native MXF/DNxHD media with AAF and ALE.

That being said, Epic is not supported till Media Composer v6 and Symphony v6. Also, Redcolor 3 has yet to be supported and won't be till an updated R3D AMA update. And even then, it is unclear as to whether that will with any release earlier than 6.5.

v6.5 does bring relink features for RED spanned files that did not exist in version prior, especially for spanned files so users can now mix methods for DNxHD creation - Redcine X Pro and AMA.

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Paez
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:39:27 pm

So what would you do in my place? I could manually replace all the clips by using the timecode as a reference but that is really annoying.

I have access to an Avid Symphony so maybe the way to go would be to online via that computer and then maybe do a transcode/mixdown of the sequence to DNxHD 185 for use in the grading in REC 709.

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:55:09 pm

In your scenario, try using AMA to link to the R3D files - the first issue you have is the version of MC will not relink to Epic as that came in v6.

I am assuming you did DNxHD36 for offline out of MetaFuze? If so, you can create a pull list EDL back to Redcine X, correct as needed, then generate new DNxHD 175x media for conform and final finish.

See video at http://www.avid.com/red

It shows workflows for your version of software. Redcine X will be needed due to the version of camera and also gets you to Redcolor 3 color science if desired.

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Paez
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:30:57 am

RedCine was used to create AAFs and yes it's DNXHD 36.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:35:14 am

Then I would do the EDL pull list back to Redcine, generate new hi-rez DNxHD, relink to that, and finish as needed.

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 4, 2012 at 3:09:21 pm

This seems like long way home?
Have you tried exporting from RCXPro?
Its been awhile for me but thats how we got AMA to work with R3D and Avid last year.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:19:05 pm

They exported from RCXPro already, but at DNxHD36 for the offline. Now it's about the online -

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Paez
Re: ED AMA Volume Linking not possible in AMC 5?
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:44:16 am

It seems the way to go is to go through redcine with an edl. Do I need to be mindful of anything in particular like effects and such? A few of the clips have been timewarped and flopped.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: ED AMA Volume Linking not possible in AMC 5?
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:58:39 am

For complex timelines, I decompose the sequence with whatever handles you want to have, drag all the .new master clips into a timeline, then export a File_16 EDL for Redcine X.

This should be in the video link I posted in an earlier response.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]