FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gemini 4:4:4 Workflow?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
taylor levy
Gemini 4:4:4 Workflow?
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:19:26 pm

I'm working on a feature that is shooting on the Sony F3 with the Gemini Recorder.
They will be recording 4:4:4 DPX and I need to transcode these files to DNxH 36 for editing in AVID.

What is the best workflow for this?

Right now I am leaning towards using Resolve, but it seems fishy.

I'm working on a Mac.

Thank for any help,
Taylor

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Gemini 4:4:4 Workflow?
on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:05:42 pm

Why does it seem fishy?

There are several dailies systems available to you that can handle DPX as an input and create native MXF/DNxHD at the back end. In a low budget scenario where an editor or an assistant are doing the dailies - then a fully functional system like Resolve is a God-send - especially for free! Each of these systems have their own small advantages and disadvantages, but for the 80/20 rule of making dailies - they are all pretty close. I find the differences to be how much metadata logging you choose to do in dailies, as well as handling of audio, sync and its metadata.

The bigger question is understanding the difference between LUT dailies and LUT + color corrected dailies as they are not the same. I've done both for clients and they notice the difference.

I would recommend syncing in Media Composer - I think it still offers the best syncing, resync and metadata support compared to any of the dailies systems, but this all depends on the requirements of editorial.

Dailies can mean a lot of things to different people - just make sure you have all the requirements in place when creating them.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andy Mangrum
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:44:16 pm

Hello Taylor,

I would agree with Michael, this all greatly depends on your overall workflow, and what you want your final deliverable to be.

If you were PC based you could use Avid MetaFuse, (since this is PC only, for converting dpx to DNxHD), but resolve or Cineform would be a good choice,

For simplicity I would suggest Cineform Studio, or Studio Pro, to quickly convert from dpx to DNxHD, and you can also apply a standard rec 709 to the footage with cineform.

Resolve lite would also be a good choice,

Also Brevity supports fast transcoding to almost any codec of choice, and works well the Gemini's dpx files.

So simply you upload the files to Brevity and post can download anything from dpx to DNxHD to H.264 (Whichever they choose) and it will do live real time encoding.

Hope that Helps

Feel free to contact us directly with any workflow questions. or see our post workflow section of our website.

http://convergent-design.com/Products/Gemini444/PostWorkflow.aspx

http://convergent-design.com/Support.aspx

Best Regards

Andy

Andy Mangrum, Tech Support Convergent Design, Inc
andy "at" convergent-design.com

Return to posts index

Ross Helton
on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:38:27 am

Hope this helps!
http://readysetdit.com/blog/tag/gemini-444-2/

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:52:22 am

Good article, but I would put an entry in there about setting REEL ID in Resolve before transcoding dailies.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]