FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence to Multicam

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Collins
Sequence to Multicam
on Oct 29, 2012 at 9:16:17 pm

Hi,

Just moved across from FCP and trying to get my head around AVID. How do you make various clips on the timeline into a multicam clip? In FCP you could possibly select clips and either right click and select multiclip (i think) or drag and drop into a bin and right click. In AVID you cant drag and drop clips into the bin. I've discovered the auxiliary timecode method but that surely can't be the simplest method of converting multiple clips into multicam footage?

I'm working with pluraleyes and exporting the footage out and back into AVID but I'm really struggling with the next stage to convert it into multicam clips.

Not really finding much around the web on this which is surprising, so am i doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Sequence to Multicam
on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:10:33 am

Not really finding much around the web on this which is surprising, so am i doing something wrong?

Yes. You are not using your help menu which has extensive step by step instructions on how to create multicam group clips.

I know it's not polite to tell you to RTFM, but really it is the best resource. All I would be doing is cutting and pasting,directions from there

Return to posts index

Jon Collins
on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:41:09 am

I understand both of your points, and thank you for your time, I will read the manual properly but surely the easiest way to convert footage from the timeline into multicam clips can't be to manually input AUX timecode on every single clip as per that blog? The alternative way seems to be setting in's on everything individually. Surely an esteemed AVID editor can tell me if there is a more efficient workflow when working with pluraleyes?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:25:27 am

Read this.

http://viewfromthecuttingroomfloor.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/multigroups/

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:24:12 pm

There is no automated way to take a sequence of many V tracks that are synced in time across tracks and click a single button to make a group or multigroup clip. Other than the "AutoSequence"process to lay down a source clip to its matching record side timecode, the steps are all very manual as noted in the link by Richard - Even if PluralEyes created the layered sync relationship ahead of time. A feature request would be to take all those steps outlined in that link and let the software do the steps in a single button. Something that Avid should consider for its backlog.

And while they're at it - also allow the "Camera" column to be used to out all footage from a single camera into a single viewer which works with tape based footage but not well in the new world of file based cameras where every source has its own ID.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:22:31 pm

Esteemed or not, there is no automated way to create group or multigroup from a timeline with multiple layers. The input to a group clip or multigroup is two or more VA clips that are either a master clip or a subclip.

Is there a way for PluralEyes or other type of application to offer a better workflow with Media Composer (or any other NLE)? There can be - but nothing that is on the market at this time.

In the method described from the link, I would argue that there is no need to create subclips from the events in the timeline. Once the source clips have the AuxTC1 timecode applied from its position in the timeline, it is a matter of selecting those and created a group or multigroup clip.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jon Collins
on Oct 30, 2012 at 5:36:34 pm

Thanks Michael, I'll look into this more deeply when I get a chance. I just can't believe I'm the first person to raise this issue with PluralEyes... Thought someone might have found a workaround for all this now. Based on that its almost as simple to just simply use a slate and mark the in's on each track.

Thanks for your help,
Jon

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 31, 2012 at 1:13:21 pm

I agree that if there are slates, it is much faster for me to just mark the sources and sync/group that way. I filed a provisional patent, and will soon be filing a patent that deals with this very issue of harmonization of sync and metadata. I know the RED Giant folks pretty well and will have a follow up discussion for solutions in this area.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]