FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Import....ale and .xml

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Vitacco
Media Import....ale and .xml
on Oct 28, 2012 at 7:13:30 am

Hi, all. Still a newbie here...as will be apparent after reading this query. I'm starting a new project editing ProRes files. I have eight folders each labeled "Roll A1" through "Roll A8. Each has its own subfolder called "A001R2N7" through "A008R2N7", respectively. Now, each of THOSE includes the ProRes media as well as an associated .ale and .xml file. How should I import all this seamlessly into MC6? I'll be copying the media form external drive to my own capture scratch RAID. From there...?

Thanks in advance, all!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Media Import....ale and .xml
on Oct 28, 2012 at 5:14:49 pm

Are you looking to do this via AMA (user managed) or Avid managed (fast import) and keep ProRes? Prores can be re-wrapped as MXF/Prores via a fast import and live within the Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder structure.

I ask because it will change the way you work with the ALE file. As an FYI - Media Composer does not support XML import for log files. But depending on link/import method - it will be a batch import into the ALE or an ALE merge to AMA linked files.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Vitacco
on Oct 28, 2012 at 5:21:59 pm

Was planning on simply importing the prores files into MC. But I'm all ears as to how to do this the correct way. I'm a sound designer and just learning. media management and codecs etc. is, i feel, the most difficult thing i've had to deal with thus far. totally different beast. that said, speak as if you're teaching a middle schooler ;)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 28, 2012 at 5:33:31 pm

OK - importing will present you with either preserving as ProRes or transcoding to DNxHD. If on a Mac, and have enough storage, then keeping the Prores file as a Prores file and having the ability to render as ProRes will be your best bet.

Make sure your import settings are set to Rec 709 and at correct size to be as a fast import. If you don't see the words "fast import" beneath the progress bar when importing, then you need to verify your settings.

In this scenario - import the ALE for each folder into a bin, select all clips, do a batch import and select QT from the file that matches. I don't believe you will need to edit the ALE file beforehand, but I have not seen an Alexa camera generated ALE file in a while. If you don't mind sending the ALE, I can check. Send to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 28, 2012 at 10:50:12 pm

For others following along - here is what was done in the end to bring in all the metadata from the Alexa:

1. Fast Import directly original files
2. After import, add the column "Source File" to the bin (choose columns). It should contain the full name of the file including .mov
3. Highlight all clips and do an import with the following changes to
Import options - Merge based on known sources - (last check box)
4. Select ALE file that matches those clips. All the info should be added.
5. Highlight the column Reel_Name and do a command-D and select either
Labroll or Camroll and click OK.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]