FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC6 DPX export workflow?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Sartwell
Avid MC6 DPX export workflow?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:54:30 am

I have to generate DPX plates for VFX work from an MC6 sequence captured from HDCAM-SR. What are people doing for DPX outputs? I tried to recapture as 1:1 RGB, but the closest image sequence export option was Cineon.

I can't be the first one to have figured this out. Am I? DPX is pretty standard by now.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid MC6 DPX export workflow?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:55:09 am

The best you can get will be uncompressed sequential TIFF. Although DPX is a standard and has been around a while, it has yet to make it into the product. Perhaps in a future update. Although DPX was based on Cineon, I don't know how well the Cineon export works. You might also look into Gluetools for their QuickTime DPX as an alternate solution.

Michael

Return to posts index

Peter Sartwell
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:23:44 pm

Thanks, Michael. The TIFF export isn't horrible, but I can't rely on file conversion to keep the color information matching to the online system (Avid DS v11). I tried some conversions, and compared against the previous Avid DS exports, but couldn't get them to match. GlueTools? Maybe as a last resort, because I don't have a configured MacPro and storage available. My GlueTools DPX export with FCS wasn't exactly smooth either.

I'm trying to do a conform/export with PremierePro CS6, but every step has major problems.

In Avidland, I'd keep using the Avid DS for this process, but it's not available. When I was using it, it worked great for a couple years.

But surely there's a tried and true pathway for DPX creation from an MC6 sequence?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:38:43 pm

If using Avid DS for conform/master, why not just send the MediaFiles as they are now? Why go through any conversion process? Unless I am missing something.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:04:21 pm

The way I do t, is export AAF link only option and open in DaVInci Resolve, then export DPXs

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:17:14 pm

Excellent suggestion and solution. I forgot to mention Resolve, but that would be the best, free, and LUT control system you could get for exporting DPX files natively from Avid media. Kicking myself as I just did a whole seminar yesterday on third party tools to use with Media Composer for 2K+ workflows. Resolve was used heavily (amongst others) and I already forgot my own lesson one day later. :)

Michael

Return to posts index

Peter Sartwell
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:37:23 pm

Thanks Gustavo and Michael,

Resolve is indeed tempting. What I'm not clear on is how it will handle speed changes and warps from Media Composer 6 sequences. The sequence I have speed changes on probably 60-75% of the shots.

In this workstation I'd have to dump the Kona card and switch to a BMD card, but it's feasible, so long as the BMD support for MC6 works. I've read of troubles, but haven't tried it yet.

It sounds like Resolve saves the day for several workflows...

Oh, and the conversion needed is offline/offline. I'm offlining DNx36 captures from HDCAM-SR, but I need the full resolution media to generate the DPX's to match the online HDCAM-SR compression.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:43:10 pm

If all you need is DPX for the sequence as completed in MC, then do a video mixdown then AAF or EDL out that new "single" clip for Resolve. DPX from there. Should work.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:47:05 pm

Also, if you have a Kona you can still use Resolve for exporting out, you won't see video output on a broadcast monitor, but if you just need to convert that wouldn't be a problem. Resolve is amazing for resizing as well.

Return to posts index

Peter Sartwell
on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:03:46 pm

Hmm, the video mixdown- is that required, or more likely to work? I think that keeping all the clip info totally intact would help at some later conform steps.

I need the BMD card to recapture at full res and review on a broadcast monitor.

You guys rock!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:07:39 pm

The mixdown was only a suggestion to avoid a hit & miss conform in Resolve depending on your composition, number of effects, layers, nests, plug-ins, etc. and you needed was a series of DPX files of the program itself. Do this on a copy of the sequence, but always keep the original sequence for other needs.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]