FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple app that associates time of day time code to Canon EOS QT files for Avid MC5 workflow?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
Simple app that associates time of day time code to Canon EOS QT files for Avid MC5 workflow?
on Oct 24, 2012 at 7:04:46 pm

Hello-

Looking for reccommendation for simple, user-friendly app that adds time of day time code to Canon EOS files (5D markii & iii, 7D, T2i, T3i)? Not looking to transcode, but just associate time of day code to the original files. So I want it to be batchable and fast bec/ the time-consuming transcode needs to happen in Avid MC5 later (via AMA link and then transcode to Avid friendly HD res level.) Key of course is that MC5 can read this TC - it's visible in bins - once transcoded. OK, if app alters targeted files; I make multiple back ups of the cam original files and can dedicate one set for this TC alteration.

Have been trying Video Tool Shed's qtchange bec/ it seemed like just the right thing. But interface is VERY confusing/un-intuitive and doesn't seem to be quite working - same clip has different start TC's in FCP7 and Avid MC5 (FCP7 seems much closer to being correct ToD code.)

I've been using Grindr for my Canon EOS workflow in FCP7. It does add code but it's necessarily a transcode process. So it's time-consuming. And doesn't do Avid DNxHD on MacOS anyway.

Any reccs would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Simple app that associates time of day time code to Canon EOS QT files for Avid MC5 workflow?
on Oct 24, 2012 at 8:14:56 pm

Did you watch the video tutorials on the site? I use that program all the time, and it really is the best recommendation I can make for you to get TOD timecode from the THM files those cameras generate.

It's not bad once you get used to it. I have noticed that the reel name it adds works fine in Final Cut, but doesn't seem to come over into Avid (via AMA or importing) but those can be relinked by source file anyway, and having TOD timecode for the purposes of grouping tends to the most important thing anyway (plus, you can add a tape name if you need to)

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
Re: Simple app that associates time of day time code to Canon EOS QT files for Avid MC5 workflow?
on Oct 24, 2012 at 8:39:07 pm

Thanks Richard.
I do want to make that program work.
No, haven't sat down to watch the tutorials.
But is there some magic button I'm missing?

And in more lazy news, checked Grinder and despite what I wrote in my post there is an "Original + Time Code" option. So not exactly a transcode (seemingly codec specs remain the same), but does create a new set of TC-added files (as opposed to associating TC to the original targeted files.) And seemingly relatively speedily. AMA linked those and TC seemed right on in Avid.

Nick.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:41:20 am

Before you give up on QTChange, you should e-mail the author, Bouke, who is very responsive.

The program works well, although the interface is a bit daunting. Its possible that there is some pilot error going on here.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:31:03 pm

Thanks.
Actually have been in direct touch with Bouke about it.
Nick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]