FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project organization

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Paez
Project organization
on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:03:28 pm

There are so many ways of doing this in Avid and I know there are a lot of resources for how you can organize your stuff. The rule of thumb off course being that it should make sense and should be logical and clear.

But during a 4 month project I've found myself being annoyed at certain aspects of organization.

Whenever a title is created I just put all those titles in a bin, sometimes under the specific sequence that they are in but mostly I just put them in a bin because I'm never going to have to find them again. Most of them I can find in other sequence and just save a new title with the changes I want.

Same goes for mixdowns. Do you save them somewhere? I usually just put them in the same sequence that the mixdown came from and this way I have just one sequence and can export whichever one I like from here. But the mixdowns are just clutter. I can just match frame it to find it if I want. I've found myself deleting the master clips, without deleting the media files off course.

And do you have any tip for when you do an AAF export? I usually create a bin called AAF export where I also include the sequence that the AAF export created.

I know this post may seem like a non issue, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is if you have any specific ways of organizing these things because I don't feel I've found an optimal way of doing it myself.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Project organization
on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:55:35 pm

As far as i'm concerned, Organization should always be set up to allow anybody else in your facility to step in and find stuff in your box. I understand you may be a lone wolf, but if you use that rule, it will keep your project organized.

I always have a bin called FX, which is minimized and hidden from my view. I put all my motion effects in there. (much like your titles, i don't usually need to access them, but i need a place to put them.)

Same for everything else. I create a bin called titles, audio in, and _sequences. (the _ keeps it at the top of my list)

I don't use mixdowns at all. We go from offline to online in other boxes, and mixdowns are an easy way to kill that workflow.

For AAFs I always duplicate my timeline, put in a bin called "to sound"...and let it mess up that bin to its hearts content.

As you said at first, it has to make sense to you...for me, it has to make sense to everyone else as well, as we may have to jump on to someone else's project at anytime.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]