FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID DVD by Sonic Installation

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
AVID DVD by Sonic Installation
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:55:06 am

This is a pretty basic question, but it is stumping me.

I've recently moved my MC6 editing system to a Mac. In the end all is loaded and working fine. Yet on my MC6 upgrade(from MC5.5) I do not see a file for the AVID DVD by Sonic software on the disk. I do have registration/installation codes on the disk cover for this (as well as Avid FX and Sorensen Squeeze).

I went to the AVID website and downloaded what should be the right software file (Zip file at 128 mb), yet none of the files/folders I click on start the installation process. I've tried a bit of searching to see if perhaps there is a Mac and PC version and I've downloaded the wrong one... but I don't see this distinction.

Any suggestions, or link to a Mac (OS X 10.6.8 version)to resolve this.

BTW... I've noticed that the MC is operating much smoother than on the PC! Many little "glitches" I have not (yet?) appeared on the Mac (1.5 year old Macbook Pro).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: AVID DVD by Sonic Installation
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:43:02 pm

Im willing to be proven wrong, but i thing AVID dvd is pc only?
Just get Encore and enjoy
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:53:24 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I'd prefer not purchasing another program at this time. I assume Encore isn't cheap. I'll perhaps somehow get the program off the Mac in a readable file for my PC and create the DVD their.

I do have iDVD on the Mac, but I'm unfamiliar with how well it works at this time (haven't played with it yet).

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 24, 2012 at 8:17:06 am

The DVD app is PC only. there isn't an Avid DVD app.
One of the downside of going Mac.
And if you had issues on the PC then you had a slow or duff PC.
generally there are less issues on PC than Mac and the newer PCs out perform by a long stretch.
Have fun with the Lion dance and the bus segmentation errors ......

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:50:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Well, no, my PC is not slow or "duff", but it simply had some glitches with the Avid program for some reason.

I edited all my programs, up until recently, on my PC with very minor problems, such as when opening the program it would for some reason take a long time to finally open; I could not hear the audio scrub when in trim mode- doing frame-by-frame trimming. There were a couple of other things that escape me now, but never stopped my ability to edit.

Don't quite know what the "Lion dance" or "bus segmentation" issues you refer to, but I'll keep an eye out for Mac glitches.

Frankly, the only reason I went to my Mac (which for a while had FCP on it for a long-term client, and why I bought it in the first place) was that I had some files from a project I needed to edit on a Mac formatted drive that just wouldn't be "recognized" on my PC.

It was simply easier to "jump" over to the Mac to edit the programs. I still have Avid loaded (just not "activated" on my PC and will probably return to the PC once these few projects have completed.

It's a shame there isn't a good Mac option for creating DVDs straight from the MC6.

Thanks for your input.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:01:28 pm

Some clues to the lion dance.

Issues with having Avid media stored on the boot drive (not a suggested workflow but for some situations needed) This relates to changes in Lion re permisssions.

Sorenson Squeeze installation and activation issues due to changes in permission of the system library.

And there are more. Basically Apple are adding and changing OS features and for non domestic usages (like post production) they cause headaches and the need for short term owrk arounds.
Luckily, currently most have a work around you can use.

Bus seqmentation faults are the errors MC seems to generate most often on the Macs for some reason....

I run a mixture of imac and PC systems in our training suite and it's the Macs that I spend most time "fixing"

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]