FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding timeline (from FCP) with Automatic Duck after ducking over media

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Fredrik Kristiansen
Adding timeline (from FCP) with Automatic Duck after ducking over media
on Oct 21, 2012 at 11:19:46 pm

The situation:

We have ducked over media files from FCP7 to AVID (created MXF and AIF files), and to get all the media (both used and unused) we had to put it all in a FCP timeline.

The timeline with all the media and all the media was imported just fine into AVID 6.5 via AAF.

The problem:

We want to transfer more timelines that refer to the files that already exists in the AVID project.

When we try to duck the timeline over, it creates new (empty) master clips (that can't be relinked to the existing media) when we use the "reference existing media" settings.

The other option is to make entirely new MXF copies of the same files all over again, which would be silly.

Is there any way to get just the timeline over via AAF and have it refer to the correct master clips?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Adding timeline (from FCP) with Automatic Duck after ducking over media
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:24:29 am

Sorry...FCP can't do that. Not without help from an app called FCP RECONNECT:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/41/fcpreconnect

FCP's media management is very weak...unless the media the clips want to link to start exactly when the clips do, end when they do, and have the same timecode and reel number, they won't connect. FCP cannot connect a bunch of smaller clips that are part of a larger clip. Avid can, FCP cannot.

Well, it can with the help of FCP Reconnect. I did that myself! Works.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Fredrik Kristiansen
Re: Adding timeline (from FCP) with Automatic Duck after ducking over media
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:32:34 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not entirely sure we're talking about the same thing. I hope that we do, but I'm not 100% positive.

Are you saying that if we use the program you linked to, FCP will understand that both timelines (both the one with all the media and the other timeline) are using the exact same media, and Automatic Duck will export an AAF (a sequence) that I can import to a bin in the AVID project I have all the media in, and that imported sequence will refer to the already existing master clips?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]