FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA or old school workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Stanger
AMA or old school workflow
on Oct 21, 2012 at 3:59:47 am

Which type of project is better for which workflow?
Why should you not mix workflows?
I am working on a weekly episodic tv show, shot xdcam50. Just upgraded to Symphany and wanted to try the AMA workflow, but ran into a ton of trouble after I added the animation and grfx. I had to import the anim/grfx because couldn't figure out how to AMA link to it and keep the alpha info like FCP. The system was painfully slow and it kept loosing its link to some audio clips when I went to export. Should I just take the time to import all the xdcam QT files since the anim/grfx are also imported?

Thanking in advance,
Brad

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AMA or old school workflow
on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:18:29 am

Some editors and programs types find success editing directly with AMA linked files. But I am in the camp of using AMA to link directly and use as a way to sort, select, then transcode what I need. Transcoding is much faster when creating DNxHD than an import. Something to try is XDCAM is a native codec, so you may consider a consolidate to go from AMA (self managed) to Avid managed in the Avid MediaFiles folder. That is as fast as a copy.

For graphics with or without alphas, and audio, I always import.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 21, 2012 at 9:07:46 am

AMA has no support for Alpha at all so all alpha graphics have to be imported but everything else I AMA, make selects, then transcode.
Way faster than importing.
And quite a few jobs we do the whole process via AMA .
But then as I've written and deliver an Avid media management course which is predominantly AMA based for VET I would suggest AMA !

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Brad Stanger
on Oct 21, 2012 at 6:42:47 pm

Thanks for the quick response. These projects are shot 23.976 with lots of cranked shots for clean slo mo. When linking, the slo mo shots have trouble playing back, SFPlay Consumer::Execute TIMEOUT is what it says in lower right of source monitor. Should all the shots needed be transcoded before creating sequences or after the sequence is complete.

Brad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]