FORUMS: list search recent posts

Symphony and vignettes/targeted color corrections

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Sartori
Symphony and vignettes/targeted color corrections
on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:47:54 am

Hi,

Is there a way within Symphony to do a simple vignette/power window? I am surprised Symphony cannot do this. I have tried the Spot Color effect, but I can only affect the inside of the shape. Same with the Paint effect. And both seem a bit crude in their effect. Is there any better solution for this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Symphony and vignettes/targeted color corrections
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:25:09 am

It doesn't have vignette type control that's combined with color correction. While Symphony has additional color correction features compared to Media Composer, it is lagging in several areas compared to modern color correction systems, and has not really kept up over the years. Perhaps that will change in future versions.

In the meantime ,there are plug-ins you can consider to fill the gap - Magic Bullet Looks is one, and the new Baselight AVX plug-in gives you pretty much the entire Baselight functionality to either the Media Composer or Symphony color correction.

Magic Bullet Looks, $399: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-looks/

Baselight for MC, $995: http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/products/editions/range_ed/index_ed.php#Baselig...

You can always look to using DaVinci Resolve Lite which is free and give you all this type control with AAF rountrip back to Media Composer. You can always do just the shots needed should you choose not to do the entire sequence.

DaVinci Resolve Lite, free: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Michael

Return to posts index

rob essers
on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:03:48 am

Hi,

Watch this tutorial:

Or install Magic Bullet MisFire it is a Free Plug-in. It has a Vignette option.

And of course Baselight is superb, it is the best CC for Media Composer/Symphony.

Greetings Rob

Return to posts index

Sean Sartori
on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:16:27 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I have seen that one and I think I missed the mention of the "erase" function. This helps, as you can make an outside vignette.
Avid is just overlaying black on the image though, and it looks a bit too crude and noticeable to use except for a strong look or a horror movie.

I am actually a Davinci colorist, and am using Symphony because this client insists on using Symphony at their in-house facility. I am not very clear on the reasoning behind this, and I am hoping that when i can sit with the client this week we can discuss it. If I can't get a good vignette or a power window, this is a problem, and hopefully a good argument to switch to Davinci.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:54:10 pm

If you use an animatte as the power window matte then you can colour correct inside or out (indeed you could dupe the layer and ccr the opposite side too).

It's all a bit clunky all round. Avid is the outstanding editing tool, but is pretty poor at fx/ccr without delving into the 3rd party options (include AvidFX and Fusion in those if you are looking... ) - and the AVX interface does not lend itself to working at speed.

I'm not sure it's going to improve any time soon either. I think it's more likely Blackmagic or Filmlight or Digial Vision would come up with editing tools that are OK enough within a decent grading programme. IF they thought they could make money from them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]