FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT - Quicktime Player Pro & anomalies

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
OT - Quicktime Player Pro & anomalies
on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:19:44 am

I've posted this around but can't get to the bottom of it, input welcome.

It's understood that Quicktime Player Pro is better/more accurate than the default Qt Player. I have some HD ProRes files I made in FCP (to ProRes) from a prosumer camera card that on a client's  2 yr old Mac (default Qt Player) play with bad jaggies.*  The footage is fine when I play it on my system in Qt Player Pro.  

* At one point I thought I could replicate the problem in OS 10.7.3 with the default Qt Player, but not consistently

I can tell her things like…. my set-up is a truer reflection of what is really there and don't worry, but she's freaked and I'd like to offer a more informed, definitive explanation.  What would that be?

p.s. In a unrelated episode I did an edit on site recently where a exported FCP seq (ProRes I *think*) had weird (colorized or blown out) 1st frames after each edit  in Quicktime Player Pro but looked fine in the default Qt Player and After Effects.  The lesson…  Quicktime Player Pro is better & more accurate except when it's not?  :-)

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: OT - Quicktime Player Pro & anomalies
on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:24:12 am

[Paul Dougherty] "It's understood that Quicktime Player Pro is better/more accurate than the default Qt Player. "

No. They are the same player, with some capabilities unlock (exporting, and a few other bells and whistles). Unless you are talking about Quicktime X, which is definitely not as capable, and has a number of quirks and anomalies.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:57:48 pm

Can't site it but I remember someone who seemed "in the know" described the regular Qt Player recently as "junk."

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:09:58 pm

Here's a pretty good overview of the issues:

http://vitrolite.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/quicktime_gamma_bug/

Michael

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Oct 10, 2012 at 9:28:59 pm

Incredible blog, thanks Michael but is seems to be about gamma, not interlace issues.

Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 11, 2012 at 1:34:56 pm

Ah, I guess I missed the part about interlace issues and assumed that it was gamma as that is always the biggest gripe about QuickTime wrapped files and playing then with Apple QuickTime player.

Are the files set to "high quality" in MoviePlayer? Also, if the footage was interlace to start, then it all depends on how the encoding was done in the first place. But watching interlace footage on a progressive screen (anything but a legacy CRT), will need some sort of processing to eliminate the interlace artifacts if that is the final viewing copy. That is different than moving interlace footage between apps using QuickTime as the interop.

Michael

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Oct 11, 2012 at 1:39:59 pm

Thanks Michael,

I don't see the option to set "high quality" in the reg Player, only in the Pro Player. (or am I missing something - Qt player 10.1) The Pro Player has always been fine (either way) it's the client's plain vanilla Player that is the problem.

Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 11, 2012 at 1:47:52 pm

Hmmm.... I need to check. The separation of pro and consumer... if you set the flag on the QT's to high first, and then she opens them up with plain vanilla one, does it respect the tag for high quality? Something to try. When I open in QT Pro, I can set high quality, deinterlace and such and am prompted to save to those changes - so I suspect it stays with the file.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]