FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing My First Feature - Advice Needed

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Dean
Editing My First Feature - Advice Needed
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:30:33 am

Hi guys

I am starting work on my first feature next week. I have been editing for 7 years and am going to use my own Avid Media Composer 6.5. on a year old MacPro. 16 GB RAM. Quad Core 3.2 GHZ.

The DOP has got in touch and is asking what codec would I like him to shoot into a CineDeck EX for the edit.

He offered up ProRes, DNxHD, CineForm.... ''plus others''.

Now usually I would transcode any material to Prores422 for the edit.

In your experience what would be the best route to take?

Do I AMA the dailies (I will be on set) and then transcode once everything is in and we are happy with what has been shot? If so would Prores be the best option? Am I right in thinking the DNxHD will take up a lot more space? I'm am not familiar with CineForm.... any advantages?

I have asked him if RAW files will be kept separate for the online / grading.... again I am unsure whether this is the case with the CineDeck EX? I don't want to compromise on the finishing just to save space of course.

Any of your workflow wisdom would be much appreciated.

All the best

Jon

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Editing My First Feature - Advice Needed
on Oct 9, 2012 at 11:08:18 am

Are the files from the Cinedeck the master or proxy files? That would change my recommendation as to format. If only proxy, then you would ask for DNxHD as the workflow will be much faster than with ProRes. I recommend AMA only for the access and selection process, not for the entire edit.

AMA to the files and do a consolidate of the DNxHD files - this will basically be a copy to Avid managed media. AMA to ProRes and a consolidate is a retranscode, thus much slower. For Avid managed ProRes is done via fast import.

And if proxy for a higher resolution format, I would suggest some tests to ensure proper file naming on source to match back to original, timecode accuracy and such. Then there are the questions on audio - double system, syncing, etc.

If the Cinedeck is recording the camera master, then I would suggest you go with the highest quality format, resolution offered. I would suggest either ProRes 444 or Cineform. And the question here is whether a LUT will be applied such as LogC for ProRes 444 files. If so, then you need to decide how you want to manage color space during the offline.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dean
Re: Editing My First Feature - Advice Needed
on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:11:06 am

Hi Michael

Thank you very much for your advice. It was very insightful. It has transpired that we are going to go with the CineForm codec as the CineDeck will be recording Master files (something I did not know at the time of my original post).

We will be using CineForm FirstLight to apply an LUT for offline editing.

Thanks again for your advice, it seems to have filed in-line with what it happening in reality. Always a plus!

Take Care

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]