FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Media Composer 5 - color correction

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helena Masters
Avid Media Composer 5 - color correction
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:00:35 am

Hello

Im new to Avid as I'm an FCP user but I want to learn this software. I've put together an edit that I'm happy with. I'm now wanting to color grade it so I'm going to Toolset>Color Correction. However, when I go to try and change the Hue. Saturation etc, I get a message saying 'Only CC color correction can be applied to filler'.

Please could someone tell me what this means! I can't do anything to my footage! Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Media Composer 5 - color correction
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:56:29 am

You need to have the track with the footage you want to color correct, selected. So if your footage is on V1, you need to have V1 chosen.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:42:03 am

Ahh ok thanks! Thats working :) Just another question though.. how do I set the tracks up to show the previous clip while I'm working on the clip I'm coloring? I'm still new to using tracks this way so sorry if I sound slow! I'm turning off the tracks except the one I'm working on but want the previous clip to show in the window so I can compare.. I'll add a screen shot - see how the previous is black?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:44:20 am

Everything needs to be on the same video level. You need to clean up your timeline. Having footage on various video layers makes no sense, once you have locked picture.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:58:14 am

Great ok thanks, so tidy it up to one track in the final cut and the previous will show in the panel? I guess I thought it would be easier to adjust cuts on separate tracks but would you consider it best practice to use one track at this stage?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:01:03 am

I consider it best practice all the time. I only put stuff on higher tracks when I composite shots, or when I blend them, or want to have alternates. Everything should be on 1 track when possible. All the time. But especially when you have locked picture and are color correcting.

When I get shows from other people to color correct, a lot of the time they are scattered about layers like that. I spend a good portion of my time fixing that. or I tell the production company that, if they want to save money, the editor should do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Helena Masters
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:09:34 am

Oh thats not good, I will definitely remember that for future reference then! Thanks for all your help Shane :)

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:25:57 am

You have the track monitor set on v3. Set the track monitor to v4 and you'll see the previous clip. No need to collapse the timeline to one track (but you should anyway - it's good practice for all the reason's Shane has stated).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]