FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing XDCAM Tape, shouldn't this be simple?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrique Sanchez
Capturing XDCAM Tape, shouldn't this be simple?
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:01:54 pm

Hello. I have a lot of XDCAM clamshell discs coming in that I need to capture in Avid using the capture tool. Each "tape" has a bunch of clips on it with new start timecodes since they were running off time-of-day timecode, so when I try to capture the whole tape it won't let me because of the breaks. Also they are at 23.98 and I'm using the Sony PDW F1600 to add the pulldown on capture in a 30i NTSC project. I can get portions of the clips in the system.

This might be a stupid question, but how do I get these into the Avid? I need to capture them at 10:1m and be able to upres the final sequence at DNxHD 175. I thought Avid could detect each separate clip and give me a bin full of the individual clips as they were shot in the field.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Capturing XDCAM Tape, shouldn't this be simple?
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:17:02 pm

Lots of questions back to you?

1. Do you have digitize across timecode breaks enabled in settings?
2. Are you capturing via FireWire, analog or SDI?
3. I noticed you mentioned finishing at DNxHD 175 which is a 23.976/24/25 progressive data rate. Are you planning on mastering at 30i or 23.976p?

Not only is it inserting pulldown but a downrez at the same time? Try capturing in a 1080p/23.976 project with the timecode break setting and see if that works. Set a MARK IN and head of time and do a capture on the fly from MARK IN and let us know.

Michael

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:30:15 pm

Hi Michael. Thanks for the response.

1. Yes, capture across timecode breaks is selected. Avid will capture the next clip after the timecode break, but I lose the first second of footage at the start of every new clip of the tape due to the pre-roll set to 1 second.
2. I'm capturing via SDI.
3. We are delivering at 1080i/59.94 for broadcast television. Sorry, I think I meant DNxHD 145 that is in a 29.97 project. Wasn't sure off the top of my head.

It's a 1080/23.976p tape downconverting to 30i NTSC and adding pulldown simultaneously. The deck manual says it adds the pulldown when you switch it to 1080i/59.94. However, in the Avid I see the 5th duplicated frame, is this correct? I spoke with Sony earlier and they said the deck adds the pulldown and someone else says it's correct, but I'm still not convinced. I'm used to seeing the 2 interlaced, 3 progressive frames in Final Cut.. I'm not sure if Avid breaks it down differently in the monitor.

The AJA sync generator box is set to 1080psf23.98 and SD on the little switches. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:31:14 pm

Also, let me first try your suggesting about capturing to a 23.976 project and I'll write back with info.

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:03:14 pm

Ok, so in a 23.98 project it's doing the same thing. I'm losing about the first second of each new clip. Is this to be expected and just move on?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:07:41 pm

You will always lose whatever your preroll is set to. That's the world of linear tape for you compared to file-based. That's why in the "older" days, camera always tried to roll 5-6 seconds before anything was to happen (if possible). If the pre-roll was important, then a sub to another tape was done with continuous timecode.

Michael

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:15:59 pm

Ok I see, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. This should all technically work then when I do the upres since it's all tape based? Decompose the final sequence and batch capture?

What do you think about the pulldown being added by the deck though and having Avid display as a duplicated 5th frame. Is this normal?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:31:54 pm

Yes, that's normal. Since you're only looking at the first field of each frame, a 2:3 pulldown cadence will look like what your seeing. It's actually the 2nd frame you're seeing duplicated assuming "A" frames on NDF timecode ending on :x0 or :x5 Where it is ABBCD.

Michael

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 5, 2012 at 10:48:51 pm

Great thanks Michael. That puts my mind to ease a bit. However, shouldn't my external JVC monitor display both fields when paused? I could see the 2:3 cadence in Final Cut on the broadcast monitors and whenever there were duplicate frames, I knew the pulldown was incorrect which is why I was worried about this.

Another question, since the tapes don't include bars and tone on them how do I ensure that my Avid is capturing the proper video/audio levels?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:12:50 pm

Media Composer only outputs all fields when playing, not during pause, but someone is welcome to correct me as I never work in interlace projects. Since you're coming in HD-SDI, you get what you get as there is no control when ingesting via digital formats/signals. It's basically a clone from what's on that tape.

Michael

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:20:06 pm

Ok I see. So if audio is coming in hot, then that's just how it was shot... got it.

Thanks for all the help Michael. I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Dustyn Gobler
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:11:06 pm

This doesn't make logical sense to me. If the Sony deck applies pulldown on the original 24P material and makes new 29.97 footage, when I decomp and go to batch capture, how does the deck recapture the footage. The timecode will be different.

For example; if my 29.97 footage starts a cut at frame 27 or 28, how will the deck know which frame to start the batch capture?

Thank you in advance,

Dustyn

Return to posts index

Enrique Sanchez
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:56:44 pm

Hello. When you switch the deck to 1080i/59.94 with a 23.98 tape, the deck displays on the screen the 24 TC and the 29.97 TC underneath. So I'm assuming the deck will reference the 29.97 TC and just capture from that point since the 24 TC is locked in with the 29.97.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]