FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logging and "capturing" tapeless media into MC 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Wiebe
Logging and "capturing" tapeless media into MC 6
on Oct 5, 2012 at 5:39:14 pm

I have been searching for tool or workflow that is similar to FCP's log and transfer tool. I don't shoot on tape anymore, and would love to see a logging and transcoding solution in MC 6 for tapeless media. Currently I am importing or AMA linking files into bins and then creating sub clips and making notes in custom comment field, but it feels cumbersome.

**Is there a way to select a file, make notes, make in/out points while viewing footage and then send only that portion to transcode, and then into another bin?

Loving MC6, but miss that log and transfer tool FCP had.

Thanks,

Andy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Logging and "capturing" tapeless media into MC 6
on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:46:49 pm

Sorry, you cannot do it like FCP does. The best way I have seen is to AMA, make subclips with notes...string those out onto a timeline, transcode that timeline.

NO OTHER App does what FCP did in Log and Transfer. Because you could also RECAPTURE your media, the selects, if you lost them. Adobe Prelude allows you to make selects and transcode those select...so that is very FCP like. BUT, if you lost the media, or wanted to recapture an old project, there's no way to BATCH IMPORT like there was in FCP.

Yet another thing about FCP's greatness that makes me sad to see it go.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:08:35 pm

[Shane Ross] "Sorry, you cannot do it like FCP does. The best way I have seen is to AMA, make subclips with notes...string those out onto a timeline, transcode that timeline."

Why are you stringing the subclips out on a timeline? AMA the footage, subclip and make notes, then transcode the subclips. It will make new master clips with handles based on those subclips, but at the end of the edit you can select the original AMA clips and relink the subclips to those (choose Relink to Selected in the relink options). Should work fine.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:14:13 pm

I don't...that's what I heard was the best way from someone on the Avid-L. But your way makes sense. Just subclip.

I use everything, but I'm that sort of editor. I need everything.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:18:49 pm

[Shane Ross] "I use everything, but I'm that sort of editor. I need everything."

Same here. I'd rather have it and not end up using it than disregard something at the start that may be perfect to use later, but is out of sight and out of mind and therefore doesn't make the cut.

Shane - have you messed around with the relinking in 6.5? I'm still on 6 and don't have an immediate need to upgrade. Wondered how much better it's gotten.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:21:05 pm

I haven't had the need to relink. We shoot C300, consolidate and work native, at full resolution. Are you talking about working offline res and relinking to full res AMA footage? I'll have to mess with that when this show wraps and I have more time to play.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:28:10 pm

[Shane Ross] "Are you talking about working offline res and relinking to full res AMA footage?"

Yes, exactly. I've had success with that in the past but wondered just how much easier it had become, or how much more robust. Might have to download the trial and test it out.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Andy Wiebe
on Oct 8, 2012 at 2:00:19 pm

thanks for the reply. I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks,

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]